Learned something new today!!

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Kidfixer, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Kidfixer

Kidfixer New Member

Zoo Med is junk.

Below is a photo of the Zoo Med Repti Therm UTH after just one month of use. There was nothing resting on the pad, its was mounted to the back of an arboreal wooden enclosure with a thermostat set at 90-degrees!! Today I noticed the thermostat was reading 78, so I put my hand on the pad and it was cold. Upon closer inspection I found it had shorted out and burned a hold completely through the pad and into the wood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you notice in the first photo, the product clearly reads "For use only with glass tanks. Not to be mounted on metal surfaces". OK, it does read glass only, but nowhere does it mention wood...and I've used Flex Watt tape on wooden enclosures with no issues, so I didn't see why this couldn't be used with wood. Well apparently it cannot, and I'm Goddamn lucky it didn't catch the enclosure on fire and burn my house down!!

However, I believe the reason they recommend it only be used with glass tanks is because its a SHIT product that shorts out and can potentially catch wood on fire!!

I will be ordering some Flex Watt tape tomorrow!!

Louie likes this.
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Reid

Reid Banned

I don't know, maybe this is just me. Maybe my logic doesn't follow what everyone else does... BUT. If it gets hot, my mind tells me to keep it away from wood. Wood burns. Easily. But hey, that's just me.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Kidfixer

Kidfixer New Member

Not at 90-degrees it doesn't. Your body runs at 98.6 degrees...have you ever touched a piece of wood and burst it into flames? I understand your logic, but I've used flex watt for YEARS with no issues. My mistake was thinking this product would perform the same way.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Reid

Reid Banned

If it's poorly ventilated, it can cause some burns. The temperature would raise drastically.
    But, by the way you talk I'm assuming you've been doing this for awhile and know to vent it, correct? Maybe you just got a faulty UTH =/

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Kidfixer

Kidfixer New Member

True, however it was well ventilated. Any temp fluctuations should have been detected by the thermostat probe and power regulated accordingly. I say "should" because I cant completely rule out that the T-stat was working properly. But I like your idea about it being a faulty unit...lets go with that!! LOL

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Reid

Reid Banned

Pssh. Don't bash Zoo Med. I've yet to have a problem with them :p

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  12. Kidfixer

Kidfixer New Member

{quote] I've yet to have a problem with them [/quote]

Wish I could say the same...had one of their Repti-Foggers die on me as well.

supernova likes this.
  13. Louie

Louie Member

I removed and threw my zoo-med UTH pads away few yrs ago. I have nothing but hate for zoo-med UTH.

I do like their other products but 2 of my 3 UTH actually got so hot they cracked tank bottoms.

I rarely use them here in Florida but went with COBRA UTH and love them . They run sterady and smooth 90 degrees.

The zoo-meds heat up than get cold and this see-sawmethod is how they operate. Two of mine got dangerously hot.

Shame so many are sold because lots of horror stories and much better UTH out there but again their other products I use and like. I recently bought their front opening gecko type terrarium and like it but the UTH are horrible.

14. Louie

Louie Member

Do some research as horror stories with zoo-med UTH . I posted mine. I used to also belong to a reptile club and heard countless horror tales about their UTH but again I use and like their other products.

"If you have one of these, I highly recommend throwing it in the trash. I had one of these hooked up to a rheostat back in the day. It shorted and got so hot it broke the glass. My big male Cuban boa died as a result of one of these Zoo Med UTH's. After that happened, I switched to flexwatt or Ultratherm UTH's for everything. I haven't had any issues with either the flexwatt or the ultratherms."

http://www.redtailboas.com/f76/warning-zoo-med-uth-49606/

15. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Hm... I've actually never had a problem with my 2 Zoomed UTHs... and I've had them for years :-/ I have them hooked up to light switch dimmers though... I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
    Other than that I have always used Flexwatt, it's a fantastic product and I've never had any problems with it...

16. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

I was gonna say at least the Repti Fogger works good, right? But, I say you said it died?!? That sucks! I know they have replacement parts for it that I'm pretty sure they'll send you for free. I did have one of their terrariums door latch break, but they sent a new one for free right away. My fogger has been doing a thing where the you can hear the fan when you 1st turn it on, but when it gets running, it works fine. You did use only distilled water, right? I know a bunch of people didn't realize that's what is meant to be used for it and they break. All I know is it the most reccommended fogger out there from reviews and all. I've never had a UTH from them either and I like heat tape since it's cheaper and works just as well.

17. Louie

Louie Member

For every person who has had trouble qith their UTH countless have not. I just happened to be one who did and met others in reptile club who did but again countless did not.

The problems all seem to happen in first 3 months so in your case no problem but in my case both 29 gallon tanks had bottom crack first month by two separate zoo-med UTH.

18. Louie

Louie Member

"I did have one of their terrariums door latch break, but they sent a new one for free right away."

I plan to get a pair of Willimans blue geckos like the magazine you told me about which I already ordered and got and did order the zoo med terrarium and like it.

What do you keep in your terrarium the anoles and treefrog?

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  19. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

Yep, that's what I keep in there :) I have the "medium" I'm pretty sure(it's 18x18x18)
    It would be so cool if you got those geckos also! I think they're the best and I too didn't know about them until I saw the article(glad you like the pagazine too! :p ) And where would you get those guys? I want to know where I could find some!

20. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

was that a freak accident? usually zoomed makes a good product. ive only ever had to replace one uth from them. ive never put one on wook but i use them on my cheap plastic storage bins without any issues