Leopard Gecko Eye trouble/cat attack,new tail growth/black beatles/

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Rob Meek, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Rob Meek

Rob Meek Embryo

Hello,
    I have a full grown Leopard Gecko. My cat had burglarized the screen lid on its tank some time ago.. months ago..when I got home the gecko had dropped its tail off. He has a knick in his side from where the cat grabbed onto him, but no marks anywhere else. He has a new more secure lid now and cats arent allowed in room anymore. His tail hasnt grown back very well.. it took longer than the internet had told me.. but it eventually did grow back. The tail is that pretty light purple but is only the size of an acorn.

Now, the past few days his left eye wont open.. i just tried to use water and a qtip and attempted to get it open. But I had no luck. Just fed him crickets and mealworms. I noticed a few black beatles in his tank, (metamorphosed meal worms) im wondering if the cat got his eye and I didnt notice, or a beetle bit him. Reading about them on the internet I hear they bite.. and are used to clean taxidermy skeletons.. probably not good to have in tank.. I killed all the beatles i could find but there still could be some in the tank.. I have new substrate (bark)but i have to wait to change substrate after he eats his crickets. I also sprayed the tank walls with calcium water, and added calcium to his water dishes. And sprinkled calcium powder around the entrance to his hiding spot. I run his day light alot cause I noticed his tail growing faster with it on.. he was under the light alot, now he goes to his hiding spot mostly.. he does eat pokishly, not aggressively hunting like he normally does. Without taking him to the vet just yet, I wanted to ask people online.. I just hope his eye isnt punctured.. can a punctured eye heal? or is this an infection/deficiency/attack? I feel like I may not be feeding him enough whiles hes growing his tail back. I dont think it was from the cat, but if it was it must've gotten worse in time.. i noticed it was watery n glassy, then looks as if it became sticky n went shut. Any help would be appreciated. The edge of he eye lids where they meet, has a black edge, and is puffed up at bottom eyed lid.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Xavier Russell

Xavier Russell Embryo

This looks like he is sick. Did any injury occur before that could've caused this? But you need to get him to a vet.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Rob Meek

Rob Meek Embryo

I will take him to the vet if it doesnt get better, the eye is less swollen now..seems like hes trying to open it more often now but cant yet, Ive also been wiping his eye with spring water and a qtip. Ive added lighting, keeping the tank humid n hot on the one side. constant, Food sprinkled with flukers vitamin powder, pedialyte w/ small amount of vitamin/calcium powder, using a dropper. I actually setup an appointment, but am postponing it to see how this goes.. he looks to be improving

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Rob Meek

Rob Meek Embryo

I was using calcium only before.. and his heat lamp had burned out for a few days.. I do try to take good care of him, Ive spent hundreds on this gercko and have had him for close to 10 years. I know its my bad. If he doesnt open it soon, I'll take him to vet.. dont worry. Its been to the vet before. A couple years ago, it had a lump in between his back legs. Vet flipped the gecko over onto his back, and took a qtip, and pushed out this hard clear yellow bb out of his cloaca pouch. It popped out and ticked as it bounced on the table. They say it can happen to them once in their lives. Hardened fluids turn into a pearl like a clam in there. And gecko's been fine until now.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Rob Meek

Rob Meek Embryo

Like I said my cat broke into his tank months ago. But his eyes were fine back then. One knick on his back, and tail dropped off. Over the course of time after his new tail came, his left eye became glassy n watery.. and now its shut And im wondering if the cat knick got him sick?.. or the beetles couldve bitten him. My guess is that I havent been feeding him enough due to his new tail. Ive just been feeding it regularly once a week. So hes all decked out.. Im gonna see what happens

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. tokaygirl55

tokaygirl55 New Member

Aw, poor gecko. The first thing I'd recommend is changing your substrate. It's very possible that a beetle could have bit his eye. Bark substrate is very easy for crickets and mealworms to hide in and die and make your leopard gecko sick. Or they could get bigger and harm your leopard gecko. I would recommend tile or paper towels as a substrate but NOT calcium sand. Calcium sand could kill your gecko. Even normal sand(which I actually use) would work but it is not ideal.