Leopard gecko hasn't eaten for a week+

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Ally, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Ally

Ally Embryo

Hey guys, I got the leos on 10/9/13. One is male and one is female. The female is older by a month, and she is 6 months old. Shes a little bit bigger than he and looks healthier too. however i have yet to see her eat anything since she came in the mail on that date. I ordered from a breeder online and i trust they were in good health when they arrived.

The middle of the tank is a little over 80 degrees. So i assume the hot side is no higher than 90 degrees (75 watt purple bulb with a uth) and the cool side no lower than 70.

Last night, i fed the most I've ever fed in attempt for the female to find food. however i watched the male eat every last cricket and meal worm. i fed a total of 8 crickets and 5 meal worms.

I've had worms be there all night and watch the male eat them in the morning after, so its not like she doesn't have opportunities. She lets the crickets just walk on by.

How can i get her to perk up and eat? Please help asap. Its already been a week since she's eaten.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

The floor heat for the UTH should be 92-94 degree's. 96 wouldn't hurt them just put a thin rock on the spot so its a buffer and helps them adjust their own temps while remaining in the same spot. The light isn't needed but if its chilly in the house its useful to keep the tank warm. As for eating? Sometimes Leo's go a month without food when you first get them. Sometimes they eat right away. It could also be stressful. If your keeping the two in the same tank that could be the reason why. Just because they are male and female doesn't mean anything when it comes to bullying. Also how large is this enclosure you keep them in? And why did you think its a good idea to place them together. If they do end up breeding one day she's going to be constantly mounted cause thats what leo's do. And its unhealthy for her to be overly bred. So hopefully its two seperate enclosures.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ally

Ally Embryo

She's eating now. The male has grown quite a bit but still a little smaller than her. They look healthy and are fed worms and crickets almost every night. exception once a week all worms (when i run out of crickets and are cleaning their cage) and one day i feed all crickets. They eat everything.

As far as the tank, its a 20 gallon long. I do expect to eventually have to buy another cage for him or her.. but i like the idea of breeding them as long as they aren't living together. I'll have to do more research about incubation and what not first however. When do they become mature and sexually active?

Thanks for the help

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

Breeding is a big step and I do not recommend it for most people. You'll need to find buyers and are willing to put in the time it takes to watch over them and make sure everything is done to the letter. Females also end up having a shorter lifespan due to breeding so there is that. You'll also have to remember the problems with breeding like the eggs exploding in the body killing the female. Or just can't lay it and it rots in her body. These are the usual culprits to death in breeding geckos. Not saying always but its one of the ones I know about that is common. Do a lot of research, talk to breeders who are pro's so you get the correct information. And make sure you have things setup way before hand. Gecko's lay about 6 clutches of eggs. Two every few weeks or so once they are bred. So you need space.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ally

Ally Embryo

How long until they start breeding? The female was born in May and him in June

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

They need to be over 15 months in age. If they do it when younger than you'll run into health risks up the wall. You should keep them apart in their own tanks till they are of age. You should read up more on breeding, talk to breeders and get the answers from them. Than weigh the options.

Pro's:
    Money
    Learning experience

Con's:
    Female life span shortens
    Female can become egg bound
    Female loses the vitamins she needs to live healthy
    Buyers
    Extra enclosures and heaters for each individual gecko born ( You never keep Leo's together EVER. Thats just a bomb waiting to go off)

But if your gonna ignore any warnings and breed. Than you should do it right.
    Calcium powder without D3 in a flat bowl for each enclosure for them to lick. Repashy is the best multi vitamin imo and many breeders and keepers use it. Till they are about 15 months old they should be given every feeding. ONce they are about 15 months old. Its every other feeding. Fatten your female up as best you could before breeding. She'll need it because those eggs take a lot out of her. And they lay six seperate clutches during a 3 month period.
    keep them apart till they are of breeding age. Place male into the females tank when they are of breeding age. WATCH them closely. Just because they are boy and girl doesn't mean bullying will not occur.

Once they do their thing you should take the male out. He's no longer needed because she'll most likely lay eggs in a few weeks. Watch her and make sure she lays the eggs. 2 per clutch (Though someone once said theirs laid 3 but that is probably to rare to even consider). Make sure you have a place for her to lay eggs. You should also have a incubator for when you remove the eggs and place them inside of that instead. Its better that way. Easier to monitor.

Its a lot of work and if your to new to Leo's its not recommended.