Leopard gecko not eating...

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by luna99, Mar 18, 2014.

1. luna99

luna99 Embryo

I am hoping to get some advice before taking my leopard gecko to the vet. He has not eaten for quite some time now, I'd say maybe two weeks or so. He looks okay, nothing around his mouth or eyes, his color is still vibrant, and he isn't super skinny (he was always kind of fat actually). He loves to eat usually so I am concerned. His last shed wasn't so great, and I have continuously soaked him and made sure his cage is warm enough. He has very little stress and his cage has no sand (paper towels). He just does not look at the mealworms (he stopped eating crickets years ago) and has no interest in eating.

Should I take him to the vet now?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Hi Luna99,

Please refer to this link for troubleshooting non-feeders:
    http://reptileboards.com/threads/gecko-not-eating-look-here-first.64336/

I hate to reply to posts by just sending you off to read links, but here is our caresheet. It would be worth going over to ensure your husbandry is up to par as well. Often, issues like this can be a result of minor husbandry errors than can be easily remedied.
    http://reptileboards.com/threads/leopard-gecko-caresheet.59997/

How is his overall behavior otherwise? Does he hide and sleep all day and night? Or is he responsive and active when he's awake or stimulated?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. luna99

luna99 Embryo

Thanks Jeff. I looked over the links and I think everything is okay husbandry-wise. It's been so long since my gecko ate that I took him to the vet yesterday. She could not find any visible problems, other than a sore on his mouth. So I got some antibacterial cleaner for his mouth and some food for force feeding him, while they do a blood test. He lost considerable weight. I am waiting for the blood test results.

He sleeps all day in the open when he used to spend 50/50 in the open. He is not very responsive, very lethargic. Usually he is alert when I enter the room and eager to feed. He hasn't been alert in weeks.

Thanks for replying.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. luna99

luna99 Embryo

So nothing came up in the blood work, other than regular signs of malnutrition from not eating. She says it could be a parasite but she needs a fresh stool sample to pinpoint the correct parasite, if that is it. Otherwise to keep force feeding him, soak him regularly, and use the mouth stuff. I'm really worried now! It'll be difficult for me to get a stool sample from him that doesn't dry out, as I work full-time and I could miss it.

Is it possible that he got a parasite from the meal worms from the pet store? His cage is kept really clean! She says it could also be a tumor/cancer. He is middle-aged for a gecko.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. reptileslave

reptileslave Embryo

How is he doing now?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. luna99

luna99 Embryo

He's still not eating on his own. He did just shed (it was an okay shed) and he usually doesn't eat after his shed anyway. His stool sample showed no parasites, but his most recent stool looked funny (like stringy?). The vet recommended he go on some antibiotics and to keep force feeding him for now.

Just in case it's because this winter has sucked although it's been consistently warm enough in his cage - I have actively opened the blinds to let in sunlight to the room and had him walk around outside of his cage a little. Apparently, there is also an adenovirus going around in reptiles so they will check for that next if he does not improve from the antibiotics.

Thanks for asking how he is doing!

12. reptileslave

reptileslave Embryo

Is he well hydrated? Can you post a picture of his set up and your leo?

What insects do you feed?
    What do you feed the insects?
    What supplements do you dust with? How often?

13. luna99

luna99 Embryo

Yes, he is well hydrated. Can't really post pictures right now. He has a 10 gal tank to himself.

I feed him mealworms (he refuses crickets). I dust him with the calcium and d3 pretty much every time. I guess the mealworms are eating some kind of grains.

14. Lindz&dan

Lindz&dan Embryo

Our gecko won't eat for 2 weeks now he is very skinny and he is about 11 years old and we are getting very concerned about him we haven't had any problems till now. What should we do? we rub his belly To see if he has something stuck and there is nothing he isn't having bm at all all he does is sleep and he is cold we have heat lamp and gecko sand. We need help before the vet. Please message me asap. We are very concerned.

15. luna99

luna99 Embryo

Is it warm enough in his cage? What is the temperature? I would give him a warm soak (the water just touches his belly). I am concerned that he is cold. Leopard geckos are very temperature sensitive. You might make it warmer in there as the warmer temperature gets their immune system going.

Otherwise, I don't know. I had to take mine to the vet and he finally ate on his own on Sunday. We'll see if he keeps it up. I would take him to the vet asap if he keeps deteriorating.

16. Lindz&dan

Lindz&dan Embryo

We did the water on the belly last night. Is 80 degrees warm enough ?

17. luna99

luna99 Embryo

I believe 88-92 degrees is ideal for the hot side. I think there are links on this board to proper temperatures in a leopard gecko cage. Jeffreh posted a care sheet up above.

18. Lindz&dan

Lindz&dan Embryo

Okay could it be cause he is just old ? He is 11 years old. And I was told by the pet store here in town to try fruit with honey is that bad or good?

19. luna99

luna99 Embryo

My gecko is around that same age, and my vet told me he is middle-aged. If healthy, leopard geckos can live for 20 years in captivity.

I am wary of pet stores. They have given me wrong advice before. I don't know if that will really work, and I would hate for that to make him more sick. Has there been any signs of improvement after increasing the temperature?

20. Lindz&dan

Lindz&dan Embryo

No he hasn't gotten any better at all. We thought he was dead last night cause he was moving even when u picked him up. My husband is taking him to vet this morning. We have tried everything we have found online :( we saw one thing saying to try fruit and honey but we are kinda scared to try it. Is it a good idea?

21. luna99

luna99 Embryo

I'm sorry to hear he is not better. I would not try the fruit and honey. The vet will be able to tell you what to do. My vet was unable to find out what was specifically wrong with my gecko, but she was able to get him back to normal.

Let me know how it goes!

22. reptileslave

reptileslave Embryo

Most of the problems stem from inappropriate housing conditions and diet. Years of less than minimum conditions recommended everywhere, started by people who had little knowledge in reptiles and wanted to make a living off of it. Sadly the wrong information spread like wildfire and many reptiles pay the price.

I've tried to explain many aspects to the point of exhaustion on another forum, however, it is very difficult for people to accept the reality of the costs involved. Leos in particular can handle many years of abuse and this is what misleads people to think the conditions are adequate. 11 years of age is certainly not old and is not a reason for a leo to break down.

Unfortunately, I have experienced many bogus stories on a forum which is frustrating and makes it's difficult to take people seriously. I don't know what was the purpose, but I have very little energy and don't appreciate lies and people wasting my time. I know many veterinarians and not one would recommend honey and fruit to an insectivore, therefore it's really hard to believe. Please understand that many use these excuses simply to avoid paying for a vet which I find sad and irresponsible.

If your problems are serious, I do apologize for my disbelieve. Please post pictures of your leos and enclosure.