Leos and Fat-Tail HELP PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Florida Reptile Nuts' started by I_Heart_Geckos, Jul 1, 2004.

1. I_Heart_Geckos

I_Heart_Geckos Embryo

hello everyone!
    I'm kinda new here to the forum, I work in a pet store, and I am in charge of taking care of the reptiles. I care VERY much for these animals and have an extremely strong interest in herepetology. The guy who worked in the reptile section before me did an AWFUL job of taking care of the animals, and I am left to clean up his rather large mess. I was wondering if I could have some advice. I have 3 leopard geckos who are not eating, I took them out of their enclosure and put them in a seperate room in a nice clean cage, and gave them some appetite jump start (kinda brown gooey super-glue looking substance) and left them overnight, I will be checking in on them on saturday (my next work day). I also treated 3 red-tail boas and 3 emerald swifts for mites (gave them a nice spray in a seperate enclosure, sprayed their enclosure and thoroughly cleaned it out giving them brand new water dishes and substrate and decorations). I have a problem with two fat-tail geckos, who are in seperate enclosures -- one of them has some sort of clearish/whitish mucus on his nose that he licks quite frequently also licking his lower jaw and eyes as well, he is uninterested in food, but not too skinny quite yet, in addition his eyes are squinty constantly. What might this be, and how do I remedy it? The other is a fat-tail gecko who just simply does not eat and is lethargic ALL DAY. He only sleeps, he never moves from his little spot in the corner. He will stay this way sometimes for days at a time, only moving slightly to rid himself of a cricket crawling on him. How might I rememdy this, is this perhaps early signs of anorexia? He is not very thin right now, and his tail is still plump. Thank you so very much for any comments and/or suggestions you might have!

- Crystina :wink:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

I am not very experienced with Geckos so I will do the best I can.....
    This sounds like a respiratory infection. As for treating an RI in geckos I really sure, but the treatment will start with you getting the enclosure temperatures and humidity levels where they should be.

This could also be early signs of an RI or several other issues going on. Someone with some more gecko experience should be able to help you on this one.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

Both of the fat tails need to see a vet, sounds like URI but parasites can also cause symptoms like this and although we can help with online general care, it would be foolish of us to try and diagnose what could be a deadly problems and advise treatment.

The Leopards probably have the same issue, just not as bad yet. About jump start, I really dislike this stuff, to me it helps mask a problems, rather than addressing what is causing it and curing it.

Have you store at minimum get a fecal on all of them if not to a vet to see or have one come in. URI are very serious in reptiles and they rarely survivve long without proper competent medical care. Parasites are common pet store problems due to multi poor care and animals passing them. Something easily treated if they get the care they need and diagnoses.