Lets see those Uros!

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by MimC, Jan 12, 2009.

1. MimC

MimC Moderator

So the Uro thread has been a tad dead lately so lets liven it up a bit with pics of everyones Uros!

This is Scuttle my 2 1/2 year old Mali:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Take it away guys....(bruno - i want some Spike pics - asap!)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Ok...I've been bullied by MimC so here we go.

Spike my egyptian uro

The day he arrived in April 2008
    [​IMG]

A few weeks later
    [​IMG]

After changing his vivarium round.
    [​IMG]

Growing up
    [​IMG]

Waking up.
    [​IMG]

Caught napping.
    [​IMG]

His condo.
    [​IMG]

Enjoy

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MimC

MimC Moderator

Oh my god Tony - he was TINY when you first got him :-D

SO freaking cute~

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. TacomaAnne

TacomaAnne RR Contest Winner

Here are my babies ....

"Fat" Albert when we first got him in Nov. 2007
    [​IMG]
    And Now
    [​IMG]

Azreal when we first got her in Nov. 2007
    [​IMG]
    And Now
    [​IMG]

And Finally Liono, we rescued him from a local pet store in Jan. 2008
    [​IMG]
    And Now .. he looks sooo much better now
    [​IMG]

I also have 2 beautiful 6 month old Bearded Dragons

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. MimC

MimC Moderator

Beautiful Uros!

Fat Albert definately grew into his name! haha

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bruno

bruno Moderator

Fantastic looking uro's
    Albert certainly living up to his name :)

Liono looks great, huge improvement
    Well done.

12. Nines

Nines Member

My handsome U. aegyptica microlepis. My son has named him Nines Rodriguez. He is 2 1/2 years old. He weighs in at, oh who knows, but he's 15 inches of pure Uro. He keeps his slim figure by doing a lot of climbing, jumping, and just plain falling all over. I tlk to him quite a bit. I've found him to be an excellent listener, and very curious. A few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. MimC

MimC Moderator

he is GORGEOUS!

14. Syzurp

Syzurp Embryo

These are my 2 new babies otw from DFF, they will be breeding in the future.

Ladies first so first up is Lady! She is a Super Honeycomb Mali Uro
    [​IMG]

And her mate, this is Tramp! He is a Harringbone Ocellated Honeycomb Mali Uro
    [​IMG]

15. bruno

bruno Moderator

Nines,

He is a very handsome guy, beautiful colours.
    Looks nice and "chubby" as well.

Syzurp.

Two very nice looking Mali's you have there.
    I love the markings and colours as well.
    Good look with your breeding program.

Spike seems very dull markings etc compared to all these others.
    I still love him, even if he doesn't want to know me. :)

16. MimC

MimC Moderator

Just took some new pics today of Scuttle - figured i would add them to the thread :-D

I tiled his tank and he loves it, we will be building him a new tank in the next couple months because he has definately outgrown this one! Pics of the new tank to come as soon as its comepleted :-D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brand new tnk and he has already made a mess - oh how i love him :) lol

17. uro_fan_

uro_fan_ Embryo

Nines,

I am curious, who informed you that your uromastyx was aegyptia microlepis?

18. Nines

Nines Member

Nines is a rescue from a petshop that had no business boarding a Uro. He was skin and bones when we got him at approx 7 months of age. The pinpley faced salesboy told us what type of URO he was, and that he had been farm raised in Texas until they had acquired him 1 month before We brought him home. He was living on Calcium sand, his nostrils were plugged, You could really see the spine, and he was living on iceberg lettuce, with a few lentils, and had a cage temp of 70 degrees. He sold us a 20 gallon tank to hold him.

I bought Nines, knowing nothing about uros, and quickly searched the web to fine tune his living conditions and diet. He is thriving now. Even his birthday is made up. The boy salesman guesstimated that he was born in July of 06. I'd bet he may be older, because of his size.

Nines' colors are vibrant, with the yellow markings that show up in the pictures, but he also has quite a bit of bright orange. We have moved him into a 5'x2'x2' enclosure now. I have gone back and forth between tile and a lite layer of millet. Nines loves to dig. I've never seen him eating the millet.

For someone who is more experienced with Uro's, if there is guestion about what type of Uro he is, I'm all ears. Again, he was a save, and not bought from a place like DeerFern Farms etc.

He looks nothing like the traditional Egyptians I have seen.

19. Nines

Nines Member

There are some beautiful Uro's here. All of them have a very individual look. Keep the pictures coming. :)

20. uro_fan_

uro_fan_ Embryo

Nines,

Although photos can be deceiving and I am traveling and working off an older laptop with a small screen and rather poor resolution, the photos very much resemble that of a yellow phase female geyri.

However, the length you give does not coincide with my speculation that this might be a female geyri. I am not certain if your measurement is an approximation or actual measurement so can you take an actual measurement (snout to tail tip) and try to be as accurate as possible? Rather than trying to align the uromastyx with a ruler, you might want to place the uromastyx on a large piece of paper or cardboard and just put a mark at each end (snout and tail tip) while keeping the tail as straight as possible. Then just go back and measure the distance between the two marks.

Chances are, if this came from a large chain pet store- the history on the uromastyx was a bunch of bull. If this does end up being a geyri, it was likely a wild caught import and judging by size- an adult. Over 7000 geyri were imported in 2006 and they have been regularly appearing in pet stores over the last several years- most of the time mislabeled as maliensis.

Kudos to you as regardless of what species this does turn out to be, the animal is looking very good.

Ps- I will try to remember (this ability diminishes with age) to take another look at the photos on my computer when I return home from my trip. I am not on this website very often so if you do not hear back from me within a few days and are still interested in this topic; please send me a pm which will trigger an email reminding me of this thread.

21. bruno

bruno Moderator

Interesting about the Uromastyx aegyptia microlepis.
    So used the old favourite Google and it took me to a birdwatching site in the UAE, they didnt find the birds they were looking for but found some lizards.
    It's 4 nice photo's of microlepis in their wild state.
    Here's a LINK to them.

22. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    Thought I would add another pic of Spike, taken yesterday.
    Looking very miserable as he starts to shed and looking very "tatty" just now.
    This is his third shed since last April, usually takes him at least a month to complete it, especially the tail.

[​IMG]

23. MimC

MimC Moderator

Holy crap tony - he is MASSIVE!!!!

He is gonna LOVE that new viv! :D