letting your snake play outside....

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by wannaseemysnake?, Oct 14, 2004.

1. wannaseemysnake?

wannaseemysnake? Embryo

hey guys,
    so ive been wondering because ive heard a few people talk about letting their snakes "run around" outside, and such. and im a paranoid mommy, so im not sure if thats as safe as it sounds. i mean, id love to let my not-so-little gal have her share of nature. but what about ticks and mites and such? those are my main concern. im not to worried about her zooming away, and if i kept an eye on her, im sure shed love to explore. i was just wondering how people felt about this, and do you let your snakes outside?? am i being ridiculously paranoid?
    thanx :D
    ~wsms

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

In a back yard its not a bad idea. not sure how big your"not so little girl" is but if you local laws say you shouldnt have something of that size, it may not be a good idea, cuz a stupid neighbor could turn you in and you could loose your pet and possibly be fined.

Also be careful when in back yards. a nice playful romp through the yard can turn ugly REAL quick. I had my 9' BCi in the back yard when a rabbit came hopping right up to the snake about 3' away. (we have brave rabbits here in the city) Well a 9' almost 40 pound snake went into feed mode Instantly!!!. I chased the rabbit to safety, but she was ready to kill anything that moved, including me. Not that she could but i really dont wanna take a bite from her.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. RyoIsaguri

RyoIsaguri Embryo

Like what was said above, i think it could be alright, however good things can go bad real quick.

Personally if you have the money, i'd suggest maybe building her a little play area somewhere in the house, or outside perhaps around a porch, with trees and plants and etc.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. wannaseemysnake?

wannaseemysnake? Embryo

hey guys,
    thanx for the replies. empress, my bp, is over four feet. i was just wondering not because i really want to let her roam around outside, but because i have heard so many people do it, and have seen pictures of the snakes just crawling around outside. it was more of a curiosity. my friend said shes buying empress a "tree playground" because she loves her so much :) im hoping that doesnt mean transplantin a forest in my house!! haha!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

with a Ball Python you should have much worries about getting irate neighbors, unless they are REALLY picky. yeah a good time outside is always a good thing.

A tree playground might not be used much by your BP they aren't the most arboreal of species:p but thay can climb :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Danac

Danac New Member

Snakes don't know play. They know warmth, cold, food and lack of food.
    They are not affectionate and they don't run around except to hunt if that is what they do. Some are ambush hunters. If on the other hand it makes you feel good, go for it responsibly. Like Ed said, things can get ugly real quick. You don't have a puppy, you have a reptilian carnivore.

12. TommyD.

TommyD. New Member

I don't think it would be a great idea. You do have to worry about ticks as far as mites I'm not 100% sure but the same ticks that get on dogs will get on you snakes also. Also if your yard is sprayed or you neighbors spray it can harm the snake. Also if you don't watch it it can get lose that's bad for everyone who owns snakes.(news break) Also other animals birds of prey can attack it. Also the temp has to be good outside. Snakes don't really care about where they are at they just worry but their next meal. If you want to take it outside carry it with you as far as letting it out in the yard I personally don't thank that's a good idea.

13. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

yes the same ticks that atack a dog will attack a snake. NORMALLy in a back yard there isn't much worry about ticks, plus its not like your snake will be out there for hours.

You do bring up a very valid point though is pesticides and lawn chemicals. They can have terrible effects on a snake. I didnt give it much thought cuz i never treat my back yard. I dont care if it has weeds as long as its not just dirt out there.lol

Birds really arent an issue, cuz you shouldn't be leaving your snake outside unattended anyway, and most birds wouldn't be that brave.

14. TommyD.

TommyD. New Member

Ed I was just think dog wise alot of people leave animals unattended. I just wounldn't want any one leaving a snake unattended and cages can be dug under or escaped through. I was just thinking of what could happen as for me my house backs up to the woods all kinds of critters running around. As far as my yard their is a lake in the front I don't care about the weeds either (better for feild herping) lol but I hate those mosquitoes so I have to spray. As far as the bird around here they give to the squirrels I know an unattend snake would get it. But I live in the sticks not a subdivision. :D

15. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

I finally took my snake outside after reading this fourm. My biggest one is about 5 feet long and thats the one i took. She seemed to love being outside everything i picked her up she tried to get off and get into the warm sand. though she attracted ALOT of attention everyone either running away from her or wanting to pet her i bring her almost everywhere now.

16. ssscales

ssscales Member

Till someone's christmas puppy gets a little too close and wam! Next thing you have some lady and another boa on the news. I wouldn't take them outside and let them loose. What happens if some kid who just happens to have a pet bunny, who just happens to be full of bunny fur...gets a little too close? Just be careful, like someone already wrote "it can turn ugly real fast".

Also, a few minutes in the grass can give you a couple hundred mites in a few weeks.

17. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

Its really not advisable to bring your snake out and about. Just like how i dont like for someone to bring their dog to my house many dont like being forced to be exposed to a snake. specially when yu mention people running away from it, this is how herp bans get their fuel in local government.

Letting it out in the back yard is one thing. yeah there is a risk of mites, but its a small risk. you have a beter chance getting mites from products you buy at the pet store.

18. TommyD.

TommyD. New Member

It's all about E and not S. E = education S = scaring the crap out of people. I'm not a person who is against taking your snakes out in public but their is a difference. I do educational talks with groups, schools, scouts,etc. But I don't advise talking your snake on a buisy beach, or on a buisy sidewalk. People have to be prepared yes I run into people while I have my snakes and talk with them but I always have my snakes properly contained. You should never force your snake or reptiles on anyone especially unepected people alot of people are scared to death of snakes just like some people with dogs. Also it's not a good idea to let people touch your snake unless their hands are clean (germX). They may have a scent on their hands that the snake may mistake as food (lawsuit). It's also good to be well educated on your snake cause you are going to get asked alot of questions that way you can properly answer them. Are snakes good out in the public yes but only in a controlled enviroment with prepared people. People are scared of what they don't understand that's why snake owners ought to do their homework so they can explain to people what great animals they really are and that their not out to eat their kids. STOP the bans educate