Lighting question.

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by itStevens, Jun 27, 2012.

1. itStevens

itStevens New Member

Just curious. I've heard that you can use a regular buy-at-walmart incandescent bulb for heat. Is that true?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. John Hartel

John Hartel New Member

i wouldn't reptiles need proper lighting and hot and cool spots to live a healthy life. but depending on the size of your tank and temp of your house it is possible to do.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. itStevens

itStevens New Member

I'm heating a Bearded Dragon but the enclosure is only 12"t by 36w by 18d, just like my other enclosure. Which has a 60w incandescent Zoo Med bulb and is keeping the temp perfectly. I have a a basking bulb on the other end which adds ambient heat. I also have a Fluorescent Tube bulb for UVB so I really only need this bulb for heat. If it's better to get the incandescent heat bulbs from the pet store then of course I will but if it's just as good to use a regular incandescent then that would be nice.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

As long as you have a fluorescent tube for UVB, then you are perfectly fine using just a regular light bulb from a hardware store. The pet store incandescent heat bulbs are the exact same thing, just at a much higher price.

John Hartel likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. itStevens

itStevens New Member

ok, Thanks!