Lizard at petstore, species?

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by KrazyKelli, Jan 25, 2005.

1. KrazyKelli

KrazyKelli New Member

I recently went to Pet Supplies Plus (Not in the same group at petsmart and petco.) and they recently got some new lizards and snakes in. Their reptiles looked much healthier than the ones are petsmart, btw.

Anyway, they're selling them relatively cheap, and there's this one lizard there I'm interested in, but I can't figure it's species (and I keep forgetting what it said on the tank).

The lizard is over a foot long, slender (but healthy), and is a solid goldenbrown to tan color. It looked to be an adult as well. No horns, decorative scales, no spots or stripes. Just a plain long and slender lizard (a bit like a monitor or a Very small komododragon lookalike).

Can anyone help me identify what the species could be?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

hmmmm......it could be a type of skink, but you said it looks like a monitor. the fact that it has no spots or stripes rules out the skink, tegus, or monitors....possibly a golden gecko? could you give any other details?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KrazyKelli

KrazyKelli New Member

well, first I'll look up any pics of a golden gecko.

I could also say it looks like an overgrown anole. heh. There isn't much I can go on about it sides what it looked like and it's general size.

edit - it could.. COULD be a golden gecko.. but I'm going to the store again tomorrow to check again (if I can get my geo up and running again). Haha, hope it'll still be there.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

wow - it is almost impossible to come to a definite conclusion without a picture. you have a good description there, but there are a hundred slender brown lizards out there. could you go back to the petstore and take a picture or ask someone there if they know what it is?

since you said it looked like a small monitor, could it be a baby monitor?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KrazyKelli

KrazyKelli New Member

Most definately not a skink. And I don't think it was a baby monitor because it definately looked like an adult. As said, it was a little more than a foot long. Looked really healthy for a lizard in a petstore. And it looked like a normal average general lizard. no special features. Basic shape of a monitor, a tannish golden color. No spots or stripes (though it could have some design that's very faint).

as said, I'll take a look tomorrow if I can get my car going and it hasn't been sold yet.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

did it stick to the wall?

12. Hummingbird

i think you meant to ask 'was it able to climb on the sides of the cage'?

don't young monitors look just like adult monitors (except for the size)? i thought that after a monitor was a few months old it looked just like an adult. i could be totally wrong, though . . .

lastly, have you seen all the different types of skinks? and plated lizards? it could very well be one of these.

13. KrazyKelli

KrazyKelli New Member

it was on the floor of the tank when I went to the store that one time and saw it. Mildly active, but didn't go on the sides of it.

All skinks I've seen have been snake-like. This lizard was not snake-like Plated lizards? don't know.

I said I'll check it out tomorrow =P

14. Hummingbird

not all skinks are snake-like, and neither are all plateds. that's why i mentioned them.

if you say it looks like a monitor, then i have to think it is a baby monitor or just a small species of varanid.

man you've got me so curious! i can't wait to find out what it is . . . :wink: :(

15. KrazyKelli

KrazyKelli New Member

got my car working, Oh what a trip that was!

XD it was a golden gecko. But I mean, solid colored with a very VERY faint pattern on it's head. Guess my memory was bad. Heh.

Still, it looked very healthy, it was only 15 dollars! and it was an adult! XD This was the most beautiful gecko I've seen. Pretty red eyes. Only prob was that the petshop person said it was a little wild. So if I got it I'd have to handle it bit my bit.

but first I gotta see if I can't get a tank and stuff set up.. and see what my friend's end is like (cause he's helping me get everything together and would've helped me get a leo. But I'm unsure about if I can wait til summer to have one shipped to me)

16. Hummingbird

golden gecko, huh. cool. glad you figured it out!

17. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

nope your right

18. KrazyKelli

KrazyKelli New Member

oh, and yes.. When I went there he was, indeed, sticking to the wall =p just thought I'd clear that up as well.

19. Marci

Marci Embryo

yes baby moniters look like adults i have a three year old nile and he is just a mini adult :D also get the golden gecko I have one there are alsome, but very sneeky if you want a pet that you want to play with then don't get this one, they do not like to be handled and they will bite and it's a hard bite, not like a moniter or something but when i got mine home its first night putting him in his new home as a baby he bit my hand and took a chunk of skin they have sharp teeth and yes there are not wild just very slick and hyper, i cant beleave it was over a foot long I have never seen a gekco that big. It has to be a male they are normaly around 7-8 inchs full grow and then female smaller.

20. KrazyKelli

KrazyKelli New Member

I plan to get the goldie gecko, if someone else doesn't buy him first.. But first I need to get the tank and have my friend mail me the supplies I'll need.

Also don't know if I should get a mister opposed to just misting the tank 2 times a day with a waterbottle.

I like sneaky lizards, specially the cool variety, and this guy Rules! I asked to hold him at the petstore and yes, he did bite me. Though, well, not nearly that badly. No blood loss or anything. Now I can't WAIT til I get him.

I wonder if I can get them to hold the lizard for me and for how long... I mean, so noone else buys him.

21. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

The larger geckos tend to be feisty and more prolific biters. My Halmahera is extremely flighty. And their skin can be delicate so you don't want to restrain it. If you do get it, I would get the cage set up before you bring him home and then leave him alone for a couple of weeks and not handle him until he's settled in.
    I wouldn't bother with the mister, most just spray water rather than actually mist. I would mist the cage daily or try an ultrasonic humidifier to control humidity.

22. KrazyKelli

KrazyKelli New Member

I'm most definately not going to take him home until I get the cage and stuff set up. that's why I want to see if htey can hold it for me til I get all that ready.

But thanks for all the other info. I hope ultrasonic humidifiers wont chew my bank acct into used cud.

If I didn't type this yet, I'm planning to get the tank and lid on monday, then my friend will mail me everything else I need... so may be able to pick up the lizard by wensday or thursday... depends how painfully excruciating the mail is.

Also made sure to check up on care sheets. :)

23. KrazyKelli

KrazyKelli New Member

Grah, they wont hold him for me.. This means a big race to see if I can get everything together in the week and hope that he's still there by the end of it.

24. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

They won't hold him even if you pay for him? Ultrasonics aren't too expensive. We got ours at Kmart for about 15-20 dollars. It's the human kind not the kind from the pet store...those are way to expensive. If it doesn't fit in the tank easily where it wouldn't be in the way, take up too much space, and can be concealed for safety, then just get some rubber hose from any home improvement store and fasten one end around the humidifier output and put the other end into the cage, however you can, doesn't matter really as long as it works. Sounds complicated I know...but it can be done. If this doesn't appeal to you however, just make sure there is a large enough water dish under the heat lamp and spray the cage a few times a day. It should work just as well, especially if you cover part of the top of the cage.

25. KrazyKelli

KrazyKelli New Member

20? I'll have to find a k-mart I haven't been kicked out of yet and get it one day.. I saw the cheapest humidifier (wasn't ultrasonic type) for 35 bucks. And the ultrasonic ones were 50 and up.. this was at target and meijers.

right now, though.. besides paying my bills, and getting mr lizard along with the supplies, I'm trying to save up my money for a table at the next comic convention. So I'm extremely tight.

Haha, the people at the petstore, while they told me they wouldn't hold him for me, said that noone else is interested in the one golden gecko they have (which is the one I coincidentially want). Probably cause it bites alot.. or something. Everytime I ask them about it someone working there always brings up that it bites. heh.