Local groups, organizations, clubs etc.

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by Oscar, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Oscar

Oscar Member

Howdy folks...

Just wondering how many of you are involved in some sort of reptile/lizard group or club? Is it on a local level? Do you meet regularly? How hard would it be to set one up? Is it just a Field of Dreams type thing where if you build it, they will come?

I ask cause here in Newfoundland where I live there are NO groups or clubs dedicated to reptile/lizard owning, raising or loving.

It's great to have a resource like here, the ReptileRooms, and its nice to connect with people who share the same interests on ANY level, but I would like to investigate starting a , pardon the expression, REAL world group here in Newfoundland. I know there is a fairly healthy rep community here but am a little lost on how to go about networking to bring some people together? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS!

Cory

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i applied for an internship for the Reptile House in the Bronx Zoo here in New York, i am still waiting to hear back though. as for starting your own club...you could get a petition and have people sign it and bring it to the governor or mayor of your city and see what they can do

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Oscar

Oscar Member

Well, to be honest I was looking for something a tad more informal than that, much like the local dog clubs, ie. Greyhound Clubs, Golden Lab Clubs... just a club of like minded people, much like we see here on these boards, but in a real world setting.

I saw on an earlier post that you applied for the internship, must be pretty exciting huh??

Thanks for the input!

Cory

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. roxy225

roxy225 New Member

Do you have any 4-H clubs near you? I was trying to get into a group for rabbits and the woman said there is also a reptile group.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. munkyboy

munkyboy New Member

I recently joined my local herp. society. I wish I had done that a long time ago. It is a great community. It is really nice to gather once a month with people with similar interests. Our beloved friends are often misunderstood by the general public. Also it is a great place to meet breeders, I have had many oportunities to purchase herps for about half the price of any pet store. These herps are also in much better condition than in most pet stores. It is also nice to know that you can have an open diologue with the breeder of your herps. to help with any questions you may have.

As far as starting a local group is concerned, I would suggest a classified ad in your local newspaper in the pet section. Or an ad on a local website. Good luck!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. EvilSquish

EvilSquish New Member

There's a few herp societies in NS here, but I'm waiting to hear back from one of the better ones (so I hear) What part of Nfld are u in? I have a former roomie going to school in St. John's... he has my old red ear slider with him (male)

12. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

hey squish, what part of NS are you from? I have a heap of family in Cape Breton.

13. Oscar

Oscar Member

Heya Evilsquish...

I am in St. John's.... I could get your friend to pop me a mail, all good things usually start with a small group...

Cory