Look at this

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by Eublepharis_macularius, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Eublepharis_macularius

Eublepharis_macularius New Member

How horrible. They sell the good stuff, like leos, but they also have gators, armadillos, and even aardvarks! :evil: :evil:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lindsey22

lindsey22 New Member

what do you want us to look at?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

Look at what?
    The pet trade can have some different and unusual animals. It can cause some damage to the wild population as well. I saw a couple on TV and they had fennec foxes.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. _Devastate_

_Devastate_ New Member

*headdesk*

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. TrillionX

TrillionX Member

ummm u should leave gators out of bad list. i agree that its bad to sell armadillos and aardvarks but not gators. they have breeders for genetically small gators. if u go to a herp convention i garunteed that you will see someone selling gators. its like leos. take out of wild breed then sell theres nothing wrong with that.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KAOSRacing

KAOSRacing Member

Re: RE: Look at this

One of Jeff Corwin's shows was filmed around his house, he has a pair of Fennecs and said he had to get a (USDA?) permit to own them. Maybe that was just for the city or state he lives in? Fennecs are cute but I'm not sure I'd want to have one in my house.

I'm close friends with a Serval breeder...those are really neat. The ones that are nice are fun to be around but the ones who aren't "friendly" are scary. The bad part is sometimes you can't tell which are which until they are big enough to hurt you.

At some point wild animals need to stay in the wild.

12. D00M

D00M Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Look at this

I still cant find what everyone is looking at.. :?

13. elums

elums Member

I agree with DOOM I must be missing something.

14. field_hockey_gal

Eublepharis_macularius forgot to include the link to what she was wanting us to look at. So we were talking about the pet trade in general.

15. pullinapete

pullinapete Member

if you can provide the right enviroment for them why not.. but ONLY if you can give them what they need... Eublepharis_macularius was there supossed to be a link?

16. zenreptiles

zenreptiles New Member

I'm pretty open about keeping exotic pets, when they are being cared for the right way and by the right people. It can be a disaster in any other situation. I don't really agree with people owning tigers or lions, Sigfried and Roy basically proved why. Plus if the animal escapes, it always ends up really bad for the animal. It's like an automatic death sentence. When I move during the summer, I'm hoping to be able to get a descented skunk myself.

17. Eublepharis_macularius

18. Eublepharis_macularius

19. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

Chipmonk babies lol :(

20. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

I think they have some really nice leopard geckos. Thier snows are amazing, but alas I have no money :( Just to let you in, the guy that owns the place does post on this site and is a member.

21. Kitsune79

Kitsune79 New Member

If you have the environment, time, money, and intelligence to keep an exotic pet, then why not?
    Dogs were once wild animals, and with many, many years of adapting to being human companions, they are no longer wild animals.
    If it weren't for humans starting to keep wildlife around, we would never have pets at all :)
    It's mutually beneficial- humans get a friend, and animal gets a caretaker.

I would personally love a fox. One of my plans for the future is to live somewhere that I can have a sanctuary in my yard for rescued red foxes (my favorite animal) that can not be released back to the wild (i.e. too injured from a trap, bred on a farm where they have no survival instincts...)
    But I would only do this at a time I lived somewhere that I could, and that I had the money and time to dedicate the proper care to them.

Many, many, many people shouldn;t have exotic pets- these are the people who would buy a tiger just to say "I have a tiger" rather than truly caring about the species and it's needs. Pets should *never* be for bragging rights, only for the love and dedication to creatures you truly love :)

22. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

Kitsune I agree with you, if a person can afford to do it and has the extra time why not?

23. field_hockey_gal

I was looking on adoption adds, they had siberian chipmunks.
    And Two Toes Sloth's - Can't imagine them tearing your house apart.

And what are Green Spotted Genets, and a Kinkajou?

Kitsune79, you have a very valid point.

24. pullinapete

pullinapete Member

I thought it was funny too :)

25. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member