looking to get a turtle

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by babyuromastyx, Nov 29, 2008.

1. babyuromastyx

babyuromastyx New Member

hey everyone i just wanted to pop in umm i really like lizards but my little bro 8 wants to get a turtle we have the room and he doesnt no it yet so what turtles are there that are good for a actually very responsible 8 soon to be 9 yr old who acts like a teen :) lol so id appreciate the help.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. turtlebreeder

turtlebreeder Embryo

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. babyuromastyx

babyuromastyx New Member

thanks

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Rick78

Rick78 New Member

Honestly I would say a turlte is not a good pet for a child. They need constant and very demanding care.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. laffytaffy09

laffytaffy09 Embryo

The only type of turtles that I know a little bit about are Red Slider Turtles. Although they are cute, they do require more care then I had thought. Turtles are very messy creatures so your brother would have to be prepared to clean the tank, feed and care for the turtle - which is a big job for an 8 year old to do by himself. Turtles also normally have a very long life span, so we are talking about a long time commitment. Picking out the turtle, naming it, and getting the tank prepared and then just watching the turtle(s) is a fun job. Just know that it is illegal to purchase a Red Slider Turtle that is under 4 inches because of health risks.