Lost snake several years ago, still alive?

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by jenelloliver, May 11, 2009.

1. jenelloliver

jenelloliver Embryo

My daughter had a baby corn snake, no more that about 10 inches long and about as big around as my middle finger, that got lost in the house about three years ago. Is it possible for it to still be alive? My almost three year old son woke up screaming hysterically that there was a snake in his room and that it had been on his belly. He refused to even lay in the bed with me because he was so scared and would scream at the top of his lungs and cling to me. The snake has never been mentioned after the first year or so after it was lost, so there is know way he could know about it. Could it still be alive and would it be a danger to him?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    If you live in a warm climate, it is possible it has survived.
    I live in the UK so the weather here is not exactly warm during winter. A friend of mine lost his baby kingsnake, that was about same size as your corn, this was in November. His Mom was out gardening, tidying flower bed in April, she found this king curled up in the flowers, sunning itself. So I would say it's posible.
    Obviously it will be totally wild now, generally snakes avoid human contact and I'm sure it would have been totally scared when your son started screaming etc. especially if he kicked and jumped. I dont think where would be any real threat to your son, if there was, I'm sure the snake would have struck out then at the sudden movement.
    I think your biggest worry will be your son, having been scared like that and I dont know how he will get over it.
    Hope the little guy will be OK.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

if the year round climate is mild than it is possible that the snake survived.

The corn snake being a threat to you son, NO. you son a threat to the snake yes. corn snakes are small non-vemomus snakes with no other defence to a person than a small bite. But your son is many many times larger than the snake and the snake is not going to able to do more than a few very small punctures for the teeth.

three year old are resilant, he'll get over the startling in no time. I have rarely seen many three year olds that are afrade of snakes. That is a learned behavior, useally form a parent or older sibling. I have taken my various snakes to day cares (ages 6 month to 4 years) from corn snakes, ball pyhtons, up to a 9 foot red tail boa. I have been showing off my snakes for educational purposes for 14 years, I think that maby I have seen 4 maby 5 childrn under the age of 4 that are afraid of snakes.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

i may thnk that's a different snake. could you ask your 3 years about that snake? what colours, sizes, etc?
    maybe if you get some info we can help if that's your snake or not. the problem's not the snake to human, but human to snake, true, if it is the corn snake. how if it's another snake? it may be fatal if the snake get provoked. hope both do great :)