MALE CHAM pics.....ty

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Mecca, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Mecca

Mecca Member

Hi everyone...Thnaks to everyone who commented regarding pics etc...heres a couple pics of my male veiled CHAM... almost done a shed:)Thanks again[​IMG]

[/img][​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Sunburst

Sunburst New Member

Nice cham but if you didn't raise him recommend increasing his calcium intake and make sure you have a UVB light close to his basking light. 1st pic front forearm appears to be bowing and his sharp flatten casque is another signs of early MBD.

Also recommend cutting the nylon rope cleanly and then burning the end with a lighter to stop it from fraying.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Mecca

Mecca Member

Hey ..I did raise him actually since he was tiny tiny he gets calcium daily not too sure what else i can do and has a uvb light(sun glo) as well I just had him at the vet and other than being in a bad mood all the time hes healthy his leg only appears bowing in this p[icture but to look at him it look normal as far as his casque not too sure what ya mean...looks ok to me lol Anyway ty for your replylook forward to hearin back from yopu regarding this:)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. brittone05

brittone05 Well-Known Member

Hi peeps - I know what sunburst means about the casque - it looks kind of short like my George's does and a little sharp on the angle of it . If you look at Sunburst's pics of his stunningly handsome males, you will see the difference.

Your Cham is gorgeous though - does he always get that flared up at you when you approach him? George only ever does that if I don't have food and go too close to him :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Mecca

Mecca Member

LOL yes he always gets that puffed when i even open his enclosure He's nasty my vet said he was pretty agressive so he ornamental forsure hed bite deifnitly:( I love him regardless When looking at his casgue as i am now it doesnt look flat funny you mention shortness cause everyone who sees him always comments on how big it looks...This is the first Ive ever heard comments like this dont mind my ignorance in the matter I have always tried my best to look after my herps to the best my ability and alwasy welcoming new info so Now im researching againjust to make sure hes ok:) he is very mobile....eats like a champ gets calcium daily and has 2 sun glo beams in his enclosure...any tips on how to improve would be appreciated id never wana intentially inflict harm to him....Thanks

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. brittone05

Mecca - it is obvious that he is very well cared for - I don't think anyone could dispute that fact. Maybe it is a genetic factor - I don't really know much about genetic and birth problems but I know that my George's casque looks similar yet he has always had UVB and calcium - that may have been one of the few things he did have done correctly before he came to me but I must say, his casque seems to be getting larger now! It could be that because Cham is flared up that his casque looks a little smaller than it actually is? Either way, he is gorgeous and despite being aggressive, seems really happy with you :) :D

12. Mecca

Mecca Member

he definitly is cared for the lil bugger that he is.....had athought in his last enlosure b4 this one he was always trying to sqeeeze threw these tiny openins between branches and i had notices him takin lil dents off his casque so maybe thats why it looks retarded near the top LOL Ty for all your commenst and SUnburts your chams are outstanding!!!
    Britt do u have a pic of you lil man? Id love to see him

13. brittone05

Yup - here is a before and after pic of my little baby (I love him to bits!) I was told by a pet shop by me that I wasn't experienced enough to care for a cham- how wrong they were lmao
    Before (well, the day he arrived)
    [​IMG]

Now (8 months later)
    [​IMG]

Hope you like - I have pics of him flared up as well but have't resized them or anything - I will post them another day for you if you like :)

14. Mecca

Mecca Member

He is beautiful!!!! thanks for posting them...Mind if i ask what lights you are usuing? My lil man only goes light greens at night in the day he stays darker shades sum light blue spots!

15. brittone05

I use an ordinary household screw fit bulb for the heat - 100w (it is a Cromtpon reflector bulb) and I use a UVB tube for his UV exposure (a 10% one). I have a reflector on the heat bulb too and have a homemade tin foil reflector on his UV to tyr to direct it a little better. Hope this helps. Also, as he can't get near his light to burn himself, his basking spot is relatively high so he does get a good whack of heat when he goes to it.

Do you have plenty of hiding spaces and greenery in the viv for Cham? Darker colours can mean that he is stressed and it could be due to the fact that he doesn't have enough coverage - this is what makes them feel secure in their environment. Just a though - maybe you could put a pic up of your viv for us to see too :)

16. Mecca

Mecca Member

yes theres tonnes of places for him to hid and get away But hes always on the move from one end to the other end never really stays in one spot long: I only have too fixtures of lights going and I use one at night he is in a 260 gallon flexarium....use2 150 watt sun-glo lamps!!have since day one i wouldnt be sure how to incorporate tube lighting on a flexarium as they just sit on top!! its 95 baskin and 80 ambiant not too sure on the bottom but the humidity is at a good range....anything i could maybe doo to brighten him up it is pretty dark inside his enclosure! I tried to get a pic but the light isnt the best right now kinda dismal outside so it doesnt allow much sun in today:)

p.s although you can only see one light theres 2:) not the best pic but it looks cooler in person:) tx again britt let me know whatcha think just took those pics like 5 min ago

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. brittone05

I would put more plant coverage in for him - that could be why he is so restless. chams like to have lots of dense areas to hide as it makes them feel more secure. Also, the UVB tube runs on the same principal as the bulbs - reflected into the viv with his basking ans favourite areas of climbing being high up so he is not any further than approx 6" away form it all the time. He may be dark if he is stressed and I think the lack of plant matter could be the cause of his restlessness and aggression - as can lack of sleep which is affected by the light at night time - maybe you could switch to a ceramic heater for night time heat as any light (coloured or white) will keep him awake. Hope this helps a little :)

18. Mecca

Mecca Member

lol im so second guessing myself i have a moonlight bulb was told the lizard wont see it just feel the heat....he does sleep like a champ actually and he nestles in the corner where it is dense:) it doesnt get cold enough in my house i could in fact remove night lighting and have for the last few days as he doesnt like the extra heat what so ever as he moves furthest from the source. i will try to dense up his enclosure a little more although in the last one much smaller was dense and he was till very active:) just his personality i suppose hes been like this for alomost 2 years since ive had him:) i'll let ya know how he does once i put more plants in there again thanks soo soo much....he gets most uvb from a synthetic source as well as lighting

19. brittone05

super - I wasn't second guessing your methods of husbandry by any means Mecca and if I may have slightly offended you by making the suggestions then please accept my apologies :)
    I am simply sharing what I have found to be useful in helping to minimise George's stress and make him the happy chappy he is today - he even hand feeds now :D :)

20. Mecca

Mecca Member

oh heck nO not offended by any means...crunch hand feeds as well Only time he isnt nasty lol i will definitly get some more plants n such and see how that works for him:) Ty again i welcome any ideas:)

21. brittone05

No probs - didnt want ya to think I was being a nasty head or trying to downsize your husbandry - you are doign a great job and he is a stunner :)

If you need any more ideas then give me a shout - you can PM me if you want and leave me your email addy and then you can contact me that way - seems easier :D

22. Sunburst

Sunburst New Member

I think your problem is the Sun Glo bulb, get a reptisun 5.0 or 10 for true UVB. I think your supplying UVA that's why he developing MBD.

http://www.anapsid.org/uvtable.html

23. Sunburst

Sunburst New Member

Your 1st pic clearly shows early signs of MBD, his front forearm is bowing and his sharp flatten casque shows signs unless burn't by basking light. Again probably by the Sun glo bulb.

My males.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[/img]

24. Mecca

Mecca Member

:lol: im sad kinda never wanted to harm my lil man at all.....I see what you mean regarding his casque its not rounded our protruded at all like yours...by the way he is BEAUTIFUL so bright truly amazing mines never been that bright unless hes sleeping at nightitme....im not too sure if the store cares tube lighting is there any by xexoterra in the buld format?? i know thats all my store here carries??? So if i get this light will it save him from this MBD:( I was told to use sun glo with the synthetic d3n calcium Well whats importan tis I fix it but find it strange how the Vet never mentioned it and said he was healthy:( Thnaks so much for posting your pics was able to let me compare Tx again

25. Mecca

Mecca Member

Also as a baby he had hurt his casque....sow it looks overlapped and not as rounded due to that injury:( also if i got tube lighting could i lay it falt on my flexarium like i do the other lights? They rest right on top the mesh:)