MALE CHAM pics.....ty

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Mecca, Feb 3, 2006.

1. brittone05

brittone05 Well-Known Member

You can lay your tuber on the top with a reflector behind it OR you can fit it inside the top of the viv - you would have to seal the holes you need to make thought so no bugs escape!!

If you were given bad advice about the UVB lighting then that is not your fault Mecca - at least you care enough to make the changes necessary to give your cham what he needs :) Good luck :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Sunburst

Sunburst New Member

Thanks, Yes getting a UVB lighting will help him back on the right road to good healthy bones. His bones won't straighten out, ( If badly bent) but will strenghten so get one asap. Also recommend installing it inside the cage due to the dark screening will cut on the amount. Flourescents don't produce much heat at all so no worries about getting burned.
    I used an 18 inch reptisun 5.0 close to his basking lamp, screening is needed for the basking light, they don't realized that they are burning their casque if they get to close.
    [​IMG]

Link to article on MBD.
    http://www.adcham.com/html/veterinary/mbd-...res-kramer.html

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Mecca

Mecca Member

Installing inside? SO id have to cut a hole in the mesh.....? Guess i gotta do what i have to do freakin flexaruim was so expensive for the one ive got hate to start cuttin through it

Thanks again for all your assistance i'll let you know how it goes!!;)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. brittone05

lol Mecca - I have mine ont he outside and don't have any problems with it - just use a good reflector or use tinfoil and make one yourself! Good luck ;)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Mecca

Mecca Member

hahaha im stuck on retarded could you explain how to make a reflector Im such a dork sorry im cluless britt thanks for your patience:)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. brittone05

No problems at all MEcca - patience is a virtue I was very well blessed with lol

Basically, get the tinfoil to the smae length as your tube you will want to fold it a good few times to make it nice and thick long ways - then, when it is thick enough to fold and hold it's own shape, bend it into an arch shape to go around the tube - place it above the tube so it reflects the light downwards - sorry if that's not the best explaination but I am not very tecnical - it should basically be an arch shape that goes right across the top of the tube to reflect the light downwards ;)

12. Mecca

Mecca Member

LOL okie think i can try and manage the tim foil doesnt sit on the tube light does it??lol OK went to the prt place they have....REPT-SUn didnt say 5.0 or anything just repti-sun they have Iguana 5.0 uvb and desert 7.0 uvb which one am i getting cause its all my store carries so I wasnt sure Thnaks guys

13. thepogona

thepogona Member

nice pics, chams.

14. brittone05

I would get the iguana 5.0 - I have never heard of a 7.0 one so I presume it's not much good!!! Over here we have a 5,8 and 10.

Does your pet shop sell the reflectors too?? If you don't want to make one you can also try the home improvement shops and lighting shops (sorry - don't know any in US lol) to see if they sell fluorescent tube ref;ectors. You need any more help, just shout :)

15. Mecca

Mecca Member

Thanks britt.....Just been hearing so much on the repti-sun wasnt sure if it was the right one cause all it says is repti-sun 18 inch tx again

16. Karma_s_Dad

Karma_s_Dad New Member

I think the 7.0 bulb should be OK. 5.0, 7.0, 8.0 and 10.0 refer to the percentage of UVB (respectively 5%, 7%, 8% and 10%). There are various studies that show that more UVB is not necessarily better. My first panthers breeder gave me a 7.0 bulb (Jim from Amazing Blue Reptiles) along with my "start up package". So far, I have yet to hear a clear cut answer as to what is the proper bulb. Most people seem to go with a 5.0 or 7.0. There are also noted differences of UVB output on different brands - so a reptisun 7.0 and a repti-glo 7.0, even though both boast 7% UVB, will not be the same. Ultimately, just go with the best brand and either 7.0 or 5.0.

As far as 18", these bulbs come in various sizes. Depending on the size of your cage, buy as large as a bulb as you can afford that will go across the cage. Of course, the bulb shouldn't cover the entire cage. You want the cage to have different areas of lighting so that your cham can self-regulate what he needs - either pure UVB, basking light, a combo of the two, or some cooler shady areas. 18" is pretty standard (though I have 18" 7.0 bulbs on my females cages - which are smaller 16x16x30").

Also, take your cham outside as often as you can during peak sun hours. Put him somewhere where he has access to both sun and shade. And make sure he is plenty hydrated while outside. If he's not accustomed to being outside, start off for only an hour. Then you can gradually increase the time to 3 or 4 hours. But make sure he has access to both shade and water while outside.

Hope this helps!

Greg

17. Karma_s_Dad

Karma_s_Dad New Member

Also, check out www.cricketfood.com, they sell a liquid calcium supplement for chams that helps reverse MBD. It is probably the strongest supplement on the market.

Greg

18. Sunburst

Sunburst New Member

19. Mecca

Mecca Member

so it seems ok to use the iguana light 5.0 for my cham? its all my pret store has other than the repti sun...this repti sun has no number nor states uvb anywhere on it is there some reptisun that dont have uvb...ive seen a 2.0 ,thanks to everyone who have helped me ont his matter

20. Karma_s_Dad

Karma_s_Dad New Member

Dude, you will be fine with the Iguana Light 5.0.

Per the study, "University School of Medicine show that Zoo Med's Reptisun 5.0 UVB and Iguana Light 5.0 UVB bulbs induce 7-DHC conversion to Previtamin D3 at a rate 23 times greater than the next leading UVB reptile bulb!" - hence, the Iguana Light 5.0 is the best available UVB according to this study.

So to put it as simply as possible: BUY THE IGUANA LIGHT 5.0

As far as size, just make sure the bulb fits the light fixture. The light fixture will indicate whether it's for 12", 18" etc.

Greg

21. Mecca

Mecca Member

LMFAO TOO FUNNY sorry laughed at the DUDE(im a dudette) and the simple term comment ty muchly:)

Another question about uvb so sorry....This pet store here carries Repti-glo 5.0 and id be ordering the iguana light threw another dealer So perti sun vs repti glo? just a diff company ?

sorry if im leaning on your patience Greg;)

22. Karma_s_Dad

Karma_s_Dad New Member

No worries! Here in california, everyone's a dude ;)

The studies show that different brands produce different results. I too have a repti-glo bulb - and will change one day soon to reptisun. These studies show that the reptisun 5.0 is MUCH better in helping the herps synthesize (use/absorb, etc) vitamin D3 then the competitor brands (which should include repti-glo).

So, simply put :twisted: : Reptisun 5.0 or Reptisun Iguana 5.0 are much better than any other 5.0 brands according to this study.

But, just do what you can for now. Buy the 5.0 bulb that they carry. Surely, a less effective UVB bulb is much better than NO UVB bulb.

Then, have them order the Reptisun 5.0, or buy one online. Change to the Reptisun 5.0 as soon as possible.

Again, for your calcium deprived cham, I recommend you check out the liquid calcium supplement on www.cricketfood.com.

Good luck!

Greg

23. Mecca

Mecca Member

im in canada and only acess outside during summer and yes I do have a smaller enclosure he goes in outside sun beats in on it and theres sahed in the bottom i dont keep him out too long though as he prefers it up high and doesnt seek shade why would he its SUN lol...I checked out that link excellent stuf do you know if anywhere in canada carries that just a minimum order is 30.00 US i believe and i would just want the liquid calcium....maybe a vet would carry it or a pet chain here? Thnaks again Greg for all your help Ive ordered the iguana 5.0 mind as well I figure instead of buying one im going to change anyway $40.00 later sheeesh anything for my cham though!

24. Mecca

Mecca Member

ALSO...with that calci herp...i wouldnt be sure of the doseage and trying to figure out how id get him out to weighh him i have no scale and hes NASTY lil bugger

25. Karma_s_Dad

Karma_s_Dad New Member