Male or Female??

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by IggyOwned, Jul 24, 2012.

1. IggyOwned

IggyOwned New Member

Just wondering what this little one is. It about 30cm from nose to tailtip but about 9cm from nose to vent.

Babyiggy.jpg babyiggy1.jpg

Cammy likes this.
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

It's definitely too early to tell. Wait until your iguana is about one and a half years old and we should be able to tell then. At this size/age, your iguana is not fully developed as it has not hit sexual maturity yet. We won't be able to accurately sex him (or her) until he is.

On an unrelated note, he looks A THOUSAND TIMES less stressed than in the pictures from before. That's an amazing change in such a short time, especially since he's probably still adjusting to your new home. How is he eating? Were you able to get his setup and lighting all up and running for him with no issues? I hope all is going well. Keep doing what you are doing. That nice deep green is a brilliant change from the reddish brown he was displaying before. Great job. =)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. IggyOwned

IggyOwned New Member

rediggy1.jpg rediggy2.jpg Yes, this is another one I rescued. Been getting well very fast.

Also, can you tell the gender of this iguana? This one is pretty sick and is about 10-12 inches. The picture not taken by me.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Again, probably too soon to tell. Their femoral pores will not appear super pronounced even if they are males until they are larger and older. Sorry I can't be of much help! D:

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. IggyOwned

IggyOwned New Member

Thank you for your help though. And I do see what you mean by you cannot really tell.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. supernova

supernova Member

My rescued igg is coming up her first birthday, I'm just know able to tell it is female... well... almost, but my experience with iggs I'm willing to put a few dollars on it...but just s few. You will be pressed into at least a year olf before you can tell visually. The males jowls usually don't get wide until they are well into their 2nd year from my experience.