Male Russian Tortoise for Adoption (Vancouver)

Discussion in 'Animal Adoptions' started by Basil, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basil

Basil Embryo

Male Russian Tortoise (Testudo horsfieldi) needs a home in the Vancouver area! I’m seeking someone who already has a tortoise and is familiar with their needs. Won't ship Tortoise, must be local pick up and inspection only!

This Tort was rescued from a pet shop in 1990. Was estimated at 12 years of age when purchased, so approximately 28 years old now. For 16 years he has enjoyed our sunny garden in a safe enclosure, no other pets or children, long days of real sunlight outside, indoor table top enclosure for rainy days etc,. I now live in an apartment and can no longer offer this animal free outdoor run and sunshine. There is no room for a large table top enclosure, and, more sadly, this animals care is just too demanding, the constant procurement of organic vegetables, cleaning, trying to turn a deaf ear to the clunking and banging as the tortoise rampages around the confined space etc., I’m not about to heap on the costs of mercury vapor lamps and new bulbs every 6 months to try and sustain this reptiles health.

After so many years of having this Tortoise you can imagine the difficulty in relinquishing him! Only a special and deserving home will suffice. Maybe someone on these forums who lives in the area and who is reading this would like to adopt this tortoise? It seems doubtful, but I've got to try!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. PitsNherps

PitsNherps Well-Known Member

tortoise

I would love to adopt him but Im in Grandeprairie AB.I have a hermans right now and I love Torts!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. elysse

elysse Member

RE: tortoise

ive never had a tortoise before but i have been looking into them recently. i live in london ON, and have a large backyard (3/4 acre) with access to lots of sunlight. I think I could make him very happy!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Basil

Basil Embryo

Sorry elysse but I don't think I can send him all the way there!
    I'm hoping to find someone local who currently has a tortoise, an Testudo horsfieldi hopefully, and who has had tortoise for many years.
    Also they must be a serious reptile owner, mature, sensible, adults etc.,

Correct UV lamps and enclosure essential as well.

In the meantime, I have posted a 3 minute video of the Tortoise, (named Basil by the way!) eating greens in the vegetable patch last May!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcq_0Bnex8Y

There is no rush for me to find an adoptive new owner for him... if it takes months, so be it!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. PitsNherps

PitsNherps Well-Known Member

tortoise

He is beautiful!
    I have some friends in Vancouver they are staying for a couple weeks.Could they possibly pick him up when they leave?
    If you want we can talk on email you can pm for my email and I would be willing to awnser any questions you have.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Basil

Basil Embryo

RE: tortoise

PM sent

12. alanna

alanna Embryo

We have 2 russians and could provide and excellent home with plenty of seasonal garden outings. References available. Langley area.

13. bruno

bruno Moderator

Alanna,
    Please note this topic is over 2 years old and has probably been sorted by now.
    Please check date of posts before replying.

14. alanna

alanna Embryo

Thanks Bruno, I noticed the date on the ad. Felt there was nothing to lose in replying 'incase'. Cheers

15. willywu

willywu Embryo

i would be ableto provide a great home for him but i live near san fransisco. i hear fedex will ship tortises

16. bruno

bruno Moderator

TOPIC CLOSED
    OVER 2YEARS OLD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.