Man apparently strangled by pet boa

Discussion in 'Boas' started by bratspets, Dec 18, 2006.

1. bratspets

bratspets Member

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Wow, that just happened yesterday. Exactly why you should have another person with you when handling a large snake like that.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. curlytop93

curlytop93 Member

Yeah..I was going to post this up today. I really feel bad for the man, although what Janice said it correct..with a 13 ft boa you should deff. have somebody with you.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

Gotta love the news/media....yesterday they said it was a python :roll:

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. DVM12

DVM12 New Member

Thats sad, I do believe you should have someone else around with a large snake- lucky me my guys are small-- for now! At least theyre in the large snake category (the media) and not saying it was a king snake who strangled its owner.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. corey

corey Well-Known Member

Hello,

That's weird. Sad too. It said they found him the cage with the python--boa--witch ever one. You should deffenetly have 1 or more people with you while handling something that large and powerful.

Corey

12. WTFbbqSnake

WTFbbqSnake Member

This is posted all over the place. I already replied to it :)

13. slackin

slackin Member

These things do happen. Some people just don't think. I would guess it was a python though and not a boa. It's rare for a boa to get that big, not unheaard of, but rare.

14. spix14

spix14 Member

Other article I read said it was a python. Either way I ranted about this in the python forum already.

15. bratspets

bratspets Member

Here is the other article that says it was a python, and another saying it was a boa.
    http://wcpo.com/news/2006/local/12/16/python.html
    http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?...mp;in_page_id=2

And either way, large snakes are dangerous. Pounds per square inch of pressure is something like a semi truck crushing your chest. No easy escape, and a tame wild animal is a misnomer. I can certainly understand why some states outlaw them and others require permits.

They are beautiful creatures...is that what motivates us to want to "own" them?

16. curlytop93

curlytop93 Member

Im conofused now....Was it wild caught but bought...or captive hatched? I feel bad for the mother. :-( Although I am a firm believer that each person time to go is set, and he would have passed a different way if not this way.

17. spix14

spix14 Member

Probably captive hatched or maybe even captive bred but what people don't understand is that does not make the snake TAME. A "Tame" animal is one that is domesticated, and that takes thousands of years to accomplish. Even most domesticated animals can revert back given the right circumstances (feral cats, anyone?) and snakes are a very long way from being domesticated.

I love my pets as much as anyone but never forget that deep down (and sometimes not so deep) they are wild animals.

18. hoffmanrider56

hoffmanrider56 New Member

SSHHHHH!!! IF MY MOM HEARS ABOUT THIS ILL NEVER GET A RED TAIL!!

19. herpboy15

herpboy15 Embryo

i heard he was dead in the house for 2 days and when they went there to get him the boa was surrounding him and pretty much bit a couple of the guys friends when they tried to save him.

20. WTFbbqSnake

WTFbbqSnake Member

21. DreamingOfDragons

DreamingOfDragons Member

poor guy but should of had someone with him

I was watching this show called "The Big Squeeze" and one guy in the show was doing a test to see how pouds per square inch of power the albino burm he was holding had...and he estimated that it would be equal to a 1,000 pound horse sitting on his arm...the snake was 11+ft long

22. curlytop93

curlytop93 Member

I found out some of the realy details today guys. He actually had a recituclated python..and you know how their tempers can be. Also, he was in the garage playing with it alone. Eek. :

Like others have said..boas dont get 13+...that would be a real record.

23. Nero

Nero New Member

its a retic, and its not the first time it's happend, hell and 13 foot isn't even that huge for a retic.

24. spix14

spix14 Member

Not considering they could possibly get twice that length...wish my friend from work would read this thread, he bought a retic despite my screaming protests. Thinks he's "too big" for the snake to eat. I told him it doesn't matter if the snake is able to swallow you if it kills you in the process of trying...granted he is 6'6 but a good size retic could take him down anyway.

*Sigh* He is a typical teenage guy though, and doesn't listen to lil ol' me.

25. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

So the snake that killed the man wasn't a boa. I held a boa in my lps the other day, and it was as docile as can be, i know that personality in snakes can range massively, but CAN these snakes be a damage to a full adults life? Boa constrictors i mean? Coz these snakes are portrayed as snakes that squeeze the life outta things. I said i held a boa constrictor the other day to a few friends and they were like omg didnt it squeeze you and constrict. They dont understand that A LOT of snakes kill by constricting.. and that snakes aren't evil at all !