Marilyns new setup is complete

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Shuade, May 31, 2009.

1. Shuade

Shuade Embryo

Well Marilyn passed a total of 20 eggs. It has been about 2 weeks and she is doing much better adapting to her new setup. Here are a few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    Very nice setup you have there, bet she will enjoy the space once she has settled in.
    Are the eggs viable ? (fertile) and are you trying to hatch them.
    Remember to pile of the extra calcium without added D3 as it will have taken a lot out of her with 20 eggs.
    She looks Ok in the second pic.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

whatever she ate, she looks fat LOL :)
    :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Shuade

Shuade Embryo

Bruno, I have been administering Nature Zone's Essential calcium & minerals(contains D3, not sure if its added/extra). I was not aware of any complications involving D3. Could you please explain further or provide a useful link. I have tried to find negative info through a web search but to no avail. As for the eggs, they were frozen and disposed of as soon as I could get them away from Marilyn. She became very protective(expected). I actually had to trick her to remove the eggs. I made a little helmet of mustard greens that covered her eyes while I went on my Easter egg hunt. Other then that She has has always been on the plump side, but reading through the forums I only see people trying to fatten their Uro's up, not slim them down. Do you guys think she is too big? Could it be something else?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    She looks perfectly healthy and normal so dont worry about her size.
    That Nature Zone, sounds OK but I cant find any detailed analysis of the complete ingredients regards added D3 vitamin.

This is something I wrote a while ago explaining D3 in reptiles after many hours reading on the web.

This is just my take on the situation as we really dont know how much D3 is added, most brands are reluctant to give a lot of detail, so I advise anyone to be cautious when using multi-vits or calcium (in particular) with added D3. The multi-vits probably have less D3 than the calcium but thats only my opinion.
    Hope this helps.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bruno

bruno Moderator

Just curious is this the supplement you have been using.
    31b8gBHOzYL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

12. Shuade

Shuade Embryo

At first I didn't think so, but yes. It doesn't say double calcium enriched like yours does. Its off to the side in a little bubble. By the way, do you have any suggestions I should look at to replace the double calcium supplement?

13. bruno

bruno Moderator

I may have posted the wrong picture there, if so sorry.

A lot of members, like myself prefer to have the calcium and muti-vits seperate.
    That way you can dust food daily with calcium and multi-vits 2x a week.
    In the States it's usually Rep-Cal products that are used.
    Herptivite for multi-vits
    Rep-cal calcium without D3, which is phosphorus free.

Repcal Products link to their site.

BTW, dont use as they suggest, I think it's too much, simple dusting daily etc is enough.

14. LindsayPike

LindsayPike Embryo

also note that many other products sometimes used for uromastyx may also have their own Vitamin D -Mazuri Tortoise Chow, RepCal Iguana/Tortoise pellets, T-Rex Uromastyx Dust, Miner-All I(Indoor)

15. Rick78

Rick78 New Member

What size tank is that? I really need a new cage for mine. Thanks.

16. Shuade

Shuade Embryo

Hey Rick, this tank is 48X24X18

17. dale1

dale1 Embryo

nice setup! i was wondering if you could tell me how you made those hides and basking spots. they look to be made out of foam, grout and tile. thanks

dale