Marks on Ornate Box's Shell and General Care

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by mikeyt_333, Jul 22, 2004.

1. mikeyt_333

mikeyt_333 Embryo

Hi,
    New to the forum, and to toitles. I recently acquired an Ornate Box Turtle from a friend. I have done all the research I can, I feed him or her (not sure yet) a mix of veggies, fruits, live food, cat food, and dog food, accompanied by a sprinkling of calcium powder (all on a weekly rotation). I have tried to cover all of the bases in its enclosure, humidity is steady (60-80%), live plants, dimensions are 2'x2'x5'4". I understand that these should be kept outdoors, but I am in an apartment, and don't have any choice. Also, I can't set it free because I am in the rockies, and he was brought from Kansas, so he wouldn't last very long here. To take care of UVB needs I have a fluorecent bulb in the enclosure, and I let him roam my apartment with the door open which gets him about 1-2hrs of direct sun per day. Please let me know of any areas I may be lacking so I can provide my shelled friend a good life.

Now, for my question. I noticed some marks on its shell. These marks look as though the shell has chipped or been damaged in some way. There is one on the right side of the carapace, and there are some anteriorly, just to the right of the head on the carapace. The first mark looks like the shell surface flaked off and hasn't healed yet. The anterior marks look like somebody could have carved out part of the shell (doubt that that's what happened, but that's the shape they take). Both marks are similar in nature in the way the exposed shell is. There is no softness, or redness, they are all firm. Any ideas what this might be? Will this kind of stuff heal? I am sorry to say, but this turtle was wild caught, about 1-2 mths ago, so these may be war wounds from the wild. Please, any help is appreciated, I am growing attached to this little guy and want to provide it everything it needs to lead a great life. I have called a vet and I am waiting for a response but in anxiety I was hoping for a quicker response here. Thank you!

Mike.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mikeyt_333

mikeyt_333 Embryo

anybody?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mikeyt_333

mikeyt_333 Embryo

I am a newbie, and I am sorry if this seems like a simple answer to some, but please can anybody help I am concerned that this might be shell rot and I have no idea what to do. I did not choose this turtle it was kind of placed in my lap because the person who captured it didn't really want it. I would not have bought a turtle, but I love all animals and this one is no exception, I want to make sure it does okay. The vet I called still hasn't called back. I have googled and searched yahoo and this site with no information that I can utilize. I appreciate any help.

Thanks!
    Mike.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. cd

cd Member

Hey Mike, I don't know anything about turtles, but be patient, people will answer. Sometimes it seems like people are ignoring you, but give them time. :) They can get busy sometimes.
    Good luck,
    -Cristine