massachusettes monitor.....

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by killag92, May 15, 2009.

1. killag92

killag92 Embryo

i know that it is illegal to sell savannah monitors in mass but would it be illegal if i got one from a reptile expo out of mass where it is legal to sell them...green iguanas are illegal to sell as well but ive owned one since it was legal in mass so are they illegal to keep???? :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    Firstly I live in the UK so I've had to do a bit of digging and come up with.
    Mass.gov/wildlife dept
    Under the 321 CMR 9;00, would appear you need a permit to keep monitors.
    a long list follows that.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. swim007

swim007 New Member

Don't have to worry about that much here in the US. After winter we get loooaaadddsss of them.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

I'm sorry to say that statement is totally untrue.
    The topic starter lives in Massachusettes, which last time I check IS in the USA.
    Savannah monitotrs are not native to the US so you will never see "loads of them after winter"
    It varies from State to State but generally speaking a permit is required to certain species, Sav's being one of them.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. swim007

swim007 New Member

I'm not saying they are native to here, I'm just saying that where I am, there are a lot of sav reeders. at the reptile store I go to, they have 3 enclosures with around 15 in each one (babies). Its not the best thing to have that many, but thats what most stores are like around here. We have had savs before and we never had any problems with permits or anything like that.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. swim007

swim007 New Member

Yeah, you can buy a few of the lizards, but I couldn't find the exact number that you would need a permit. If you plan on breeding them, usually people just sell them. I havn't heard of people getting in trouble for selling their bred lizards. But I couldnt find the exact number of lizards would qualify you to get a permit.

12. swim007

swim007 New Member

This website has the local and federal laws for permits on animal dealers. Explains who needs them and how.

http://awic.nal.usda.gov/nal_display/index...tax_subject=185