Meal worm help

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by bigdogsz19, Sep 23, 2009.

1. bigdogsz19

bigdogsz19 Embryo

Alright so i just got myself a uro about 5 or 6 days ago and i find her eating her veggies everyonce and awhile but not much at all maybe one bite a day. So then i decided id give her a meal worm(super worm) but she would not take it but instead just staired at me so i tried handing it to her she still just staired and finally i gave up. Id leave the worm in the tank if it couldnt bary itself and get lost. Does anyone have any tips on how to get her to eat one or keep the worm in the tank without it burying?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. TacomaAnne

TacomaAnne RR Contest Winner

Uromastyx are VEGETARIANS .... NO WORMS, NO CRICKETS, NO BUGS ! They can't process the protein. Try a good variety of veggies, mainly made up of Curley Endive, Escarole and Dandelion leaves. You can mix in OCCASSIONALLY bok choi, mustard Greens, and turnip greens. Other foods that can be fed are zucchini, squash and squash flowers. Treats that are best are pesticide free edible flowers such as pansies, nastursiums, hibiscus and dandelion flowers. Other treats to be given VERY spareingly are blueberries, strawberries and soaked lentils or soaked lima beans.

Never FORCE Feed your Uro to eat, just leave a bowl of fresh greens for it daily, it will eat. It is probably still adjusting to its new home. Acclimation to its new home can take weeks or even months. Do not handle it, leave it alone to acclimate to its new surroundings.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bigdogsz19

bigdogsz19 Embryo

I know they are vegetarians but ive read all over the place that when they are young giving them some worms or etc. every once in awhile is good for them so they can grow.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bigdogsz19

bigdogsz19 Embryo

Also where would i find endive and the other veggie that starts with an e?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

lol :D
    go to local market, they usually have some.. dont buy the pesticided ones..

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Paradon

Paradon Embryo

I remember when I first got mine. They both wouldn't eat for at least two weeks and slowly started eating overtime. Now they both eat well, but some days they eat way less than other days and some days not at all, but all in all they are both are eating consistently now. You need to feed things like mustard green, collard green, escarole, dandelion green, and endive and things like winter squash, parsnips, peas, green beans, sugar snap peas, snow peas, and alfalfa for added protein and carbohydrate. You can add other vegetables and greens in every once in a while for variety, but not too much since they either contain too much oxalate which binds with calcium and preventing the body from absorbing it or goitrogen which prevent the body from absorbing iodine or both. Hope this help!