Meal worms.. YAY :)

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by blueinfinity, Jul 8, 2004.

1. blueinfinity

blueinfinity Embryo

just got 50 meals for 5 dollars.. CANADIAN :D

any way i put 3 a day in a dish for her and when i get back there gone. now im HOPING they cant clim plastic or its them excaping.. anyone?

anyway i keep them in a small container with a piece of potato.. but how should i keep them to best utilize and keep them alive?

any info would be great. i havnt seen her eat any yet but i dunno. i hope there not escaping :|

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. teejude-thegreenmenace

teejude-thegreenmenace New Member

mealys arent very mobile, im pretty sure they're not escaping, yer little one is probably just enjoying a good meal :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. zarffyn

zarffyn Member

Mealies can't climb slick vertical surfaces. They can only really escape a dish if they climb on top of each other and get lucky enough to reach the top.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. cheriT3719

cheriT3719 New Member

I keep my mealies in the refridgerator. Otherwise they turn into beetles more quickly.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

I usually put at least 20 or so in a bowl. If they are all gone I would try more to see if she is really hungry. Once you see some left you know you've found a good number for her. Mine are in 24/7 and I keep them in bran and oat substrate before using them. Carrots are a great way to provide moisture to them as well as some gutloading.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. chris_wade

chris_wade New Member

yeh make sure you got a deep enough dish. maybe watch them in the dish for 10 mins to make sure they cant get out. they cant climb vertical surfices but the can climb stuff liek branches and bark and there fast little movers once they get goin.

12. blueinfinity

blueinfinity Embryo

thanks for the advice
    is it okay to feed her these instead of crickets.. crickets ae a pain lol

as for the fridge illd o that caus ei buy 100 at a time and its 1-2 weeks before gone.. soo..

but i eed her by hand sometime si drop them infornt of her one at a time

right now they are in a small dish sealed with air hole sna peat moss.

any comments?

13. reako45

reako45 Member

If you're talking about storing annd gutloading, I've read that people store their mealies in laying mash, ground up baby cereal/ fish flakes/dog food w/ potato or apple slices for fluid.

reako45

14. bitten

bitten New Member

Meal worms are fine as a staple diet for Leo's. As reako45 said, they need to be placed in a good gutload at least 24 hours before you feed them to your gex. Dr Gecko.com has a good formula or you can purchase some at any number of sites like progeckos.com.

Also, it would be nice to offer variety in their diet, wax worms 1x or 2x a month, crickets, butterworms or silkworms once a week.

At CN$5 for 100, I would raise my own. In michigan they are US$2.50 for 100. So I bought 1,000 for US$11(delivered) from wormman.com and raise my own in plastic shoeboxes. My extras go to the LPS and I get crickets and wax worms in trade!! Good deal for everyone!

Good Luck!