mealworm problem

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by reptile8493, Oct 20, 2008.

1. reptile8493

reptile8493 New Member

what does it mean when your leo poops out wich it seems as hole mealworms.and its all of them that i fed her yester day.should i worry about her,please anything would help me out.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MimC

MimC Moderator

Hmmm....how big is your leo and how big were these mealies? Wat are the temps in your tank - is it heated with a light bulb or an under tank heater? Also, are you sure it was defecation and not reguritation?

I can think of a few things....if the leo was too small/the mealie too big that would cause him to either reguritate or to have trouble digesting. If the temps are too low, that would definately impede digestion. Also, if the tank is heated with a heat bulb and no undertank heat pad - that could be a problem too...even if the air temps are nice and warm, if the leo cant heat his belly up to 88-92 degrees they will have issues digesting - leading to reguritating and/or undigested defecation.

Also, any amount of stress could lead to issues - is your leo housed alone or with others? did you handle him a lot after the last feeding? How does he appear to be feeling overall?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. reptile8493

reptile8493 New Member

im using a light bulb and she is new to me to.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. LizMarie

LizMarie New Member

She might not be digesting her food since you have over head heat which they don't need. Leo's need "belly-heat"! From 88-92 degrees that can only really be achieved with an Under Tank Heater!

So I suggest you invest in an Under Tank Heater that take up atleast 1/3 of the bottom of the tank.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

what substrate are you using? seeing undigested mealworms sounds to me like regurgitation

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. MimC

MimC Moderator

Definately get an under tank heater and a digital thermometer so you can get the temps situated...this is likely the issue.

12. reptile8493

reptile8493 New Member

mimc do u know were to get a male leo from a fairly good price?

13. MimC

MimC Moderator

Reptile shows are a great way to find a decently priced Leo....online breeders are a good source as well...the more "specialized" online breeders generally only sell more expensive morphs...but you could try a more wholesale dealer such as lllreptile.com or NERD, the leo wont be as good quality (probably) but definately will be cheaper.

14. TNguy08

TNguy08 New Member

If your asking about the male for breeding purposes, you really should switch to the under tank heater and make sure all problems with this female are fixed, if not, please disregard what I said :rolleyes:

15. MimC

MimC Moderator

Actually, i dont think it should be disregarded either way - you make a valid point TNguy.

you want to adjust your heat situation and make sure all the females are healthy and happy before getting more animals

16. reptile8493

reptile8493 New Member

its all sorted out i got the UTH for her and i need a male cause i got three pretty girls i want to breed.

17. malt_geckos

malt_geckos New Member

He's actually regurgitating his food. Usually, when they eat too much mealies at one time, they will regurgitate them. Sometimes it can also be a sign of parasites. But more than likely, he just ate too many worms at one time. If he continues doing this for a week and also throws up his shed bundles, I would reccomend seeking a reptile vet because he could have parasites or worse case senario, crypto. But like I said, it's more than likely just him eating too much. Just keep a watch on him.

PS- do get an UTH.

18. reptile8493

reptile8493 New Member

ok wat is the max on the heat in the hot hide with no ill effects

19. ikermalli

ikermalli Well-Known Member

You should really care for leos for a year or so before you start breeding IMHO

20. MimC

MimC Moderator

The hot side should be 88-92 degrees. It wont hurt them if it gets a bit higher on a warm day, but generally the temps should be kept within that range

21. reptile8493

reptile8493 New Member

it around 96 to 99 on the hot part above the hide.in the hide its about 91 to 93.

22. MimC

MimC Moderator

Where do you have the probe for the digital thermometer? Is it taped on the floor under the warm hide?

23. reptile8493

reptile8493 New Member

under the warm hide and on top of the hide

24. MimC

MimC Moderator

If the substrate temps are 91-93 then thats ok, i might turn it down a smidge...but thats all :)

25. reptile8493

reptile8493 New Member

thanx how long shoud i wait intill i feed my new leo i got yesterday.