mealworms for leos vs beardies

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Spot, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

I didn't know exactly where to post this so pls excuse me if you think this is in the wrong section.

I've just been wondering about the appropriateness/digestibility of mealworms. I'm only familiar with leopard geckos and bearded dragons, but I'm a bit puzzled. In everything I've read, mealworms are appropriate daily food for leopard geckos and there are people who successfully raise leos exclusively on mealworms. Superworms are to be avoided since they may cause impaction.

Then I go to the beardie forum and many people warn about mealworms causing impaction and superworms are ok.

Intuitively, I'm thinking that whatever causes impaction in one shld be the same in the other - if anything, since beardies are bigger animals, the mealworms shld be no biggie since it's not supposed to be for leos. (superworm thing I kinda get since they're probably too large for leos).

Is it just a physiological difference between the 2 species which leads to the discrepancy in mealworm digestibility?

Am I overthinking this??
    Am I making sense to anyone? :? :?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

I think that is an outstanding question and I look forward to an answer from someone who knows!!