Mellers for a Beginner

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by gecko94, Dec 29, 2007.

1. gecko94

gecko94 New Member

Well, for my birthday, my dad's going to build be a shelf with 6 spaces for reptiles. One of them is fr a chameleon. I was going to get a veiled, with a 100 gallon flexarium, but then i saw a beutiful Mellers. I have never owned a Chameleon, but i have several snakes and a leopard gecko who have never been sick, and i interact with them for about an hour a day. Now, if i were to do TONS of research before buying, do you think i could get a Mellers as a starter? I understand if the answer is; probably not, it is probably a hard pet to have, which i accept. So, to make a long question short, could i have a Mellers for a stating Cham/
    Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kinyonga

kinyonga Member

The Meller's is one of the more difficult chameleons to keep...so I wouldn't recommend it for a first chameleon. Veileds or panthers are the normal ones recommended for people to start off with.

Chameleons are not easy to keep compared to leopard geckos....they require suitable basking temperatures, appropriate UVB exposure, proper supplementation/dusting of insects that have been fed a nutritious diet and gutloaded before being fed to the chameleon.

Here's a good site with information for the future...
    http://www.melleridiscovery.com/main.html

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. gecko94

gecko94 New Member

Ok, i'll go with the vieled then. I'm getting him from PetCo because im going to help him get out of theat tiny cage. They don't care for him at all.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Vanillanesquik

Vanillanesquik New Member

Remember to check for signs of illness -- MBD is not reversible. Sunken eyes can be dehydration. Also check the limbs, nose, and eyes.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. HiGhTiMeZ

HiGhTiMeZ Embryo

hey! if u really like the mellers and wud swear to urself that u will do and research everything for them to be happy... then i guess u can get him as ur 1st chameleon.

Mellers was my 1st cham.. from knowing nothing at all about caging,food,vit supplementation,heat and uv lamps. But with all the time i spent on reading books and care sheets. Im so happy with my mellers and im sure hes happy too. :D

im not really saying that it is ok for a mellers to ba a begginer chameleon, i dont know, i think i just wanna say theres always hope.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]