Mexican Black Kingsnake

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by Bunny, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I decided to focus only on snakes so I am giving away my leopard gecko's and am going to use their tank for another snake. I ordered a Mexican Black kingsnake. It should be in on tuesday. It is an 07 and was described as having an aberrant pattern. I know some are born with white or yellow dots but these generally fade as they become adult. I really want a black snake. Has anyone heard of a Mexican Black that has a patern as an adult?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lestat

lestat Moderator

Some MBKs have patterns as adults. The spots do fade but it can take a few years, and there is no guarantee that they will turn completely black. It's not really a desirable trait, but if it's not for breeding, and you like how it looks, who cares? :) An '07 is just a baby, so there's plenty of time for the spots to fade, but only time will tell how much. White chin spots are pretty normal for MBKs. My big MBK is 4 years old and his chin spot is still shrinking. Give it time, and you could have a completely black snake.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Bunny

Bunny New Member

The one I ordered never came in so Friday night I drove to Toledo and picked up a baby that is pure black and an adult which is an integrade with something that is pure black but has a speckled belly. The adult is in blue right now but is still jet black.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lestat

lestat Moderator

Sounds good. I hope you got your money back for the one that never came. Have any pictures of the new ones? I'd love to see them. MBKs are probably my favorite snake. :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Bunny

Bunny New Member

The adult is in blue. I will try to get some pic's this weekend.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Do get us some pics, and hurry! I'm a sucker for the MBKs!

12. Bunny

Bunny New Member

The adult shed last night so I will definiteley get some pics this weekend