Milk Snake Q?

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by The_Rev, Apr 26, 2007.

1. The_Rev

The_Rev New Member

what size enclosure should adult milk snakes be kept in. can the be kept on wood shavings like corn snakes can?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Care is similar to corns. Adults should be in at least a 20g long. Obviously bigger is better for an adult. My milk is doing fine on aspen shavings.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Yeh, a 20 gallon long is the recommended minimum for these, although i do prefer to go bigger, with say a 3ft viv, but the choice is yours. Aspen shavings are fine with this species, and so are beech chippings. Like i'm sure you already know, beware of cedar!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. The_Rev

The_Rev New Member

are they handleable like corns?

if so would a 20gal long be fine as an adult if i were to take them out often.
    like my corn

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ReveWalker

ReveWalker New Member

I've never had any experience with corn snakes (because GA laws are absolutely ridiculous and owning one is illegal), but I've had my milksnake for about 6 months now and have owned others before him, and I think it really just depends on the snake you get. They are sometimes skittish and mine tends to hide a lot. They're also very quick, going on the ones that I've held. With enough handling, they calm down some. I think it just depends on your particular snake.

Whether you take them out often or not, a 20 gal long will do. Of course, you're always welcome to go bigger to give the little guy more room.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Bunny

Bunny New Member

My milk stays out in the open much of the time and is very passive. My corn hides all of the time and regularly bites me. My Ball Python actually seems to enjoy being handled. Each animal has it's own temperment but IMHO my milk is as calm as can be.

12. artgecko

artgecko New Member

i should say this very much depends upon the species of milk snake, for instance the pueblan excells in small enclosures.

13. MikeFuture

MikeFuture New Member

Yes, it depends on the subspecies. (there is only one Milksnake species Lampropeltis triangulum, but many subspecies). Black Milks can get 6 feet long so they require a large enclosure, but most of the medium sized subspecies - pueblans, mexican, nelsons - dont need much room. Infact, too much space can stress them out.