Missing snake

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by doughboy, Aug 10, 2004.

1. doughboy

doughboy Member

i was feeding my snake in a paper bag folded over and i fell asleep in the other room and some how he got out i put some plastic bags down maybe he will go into one of those and i am a nightowl so if he moves i wil prolly find him

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

You can also put a line of white flour around the perimeter of the room. That way if he moves across the line you will see which way he went. Also set up a heat lamp over a spot and put a mouse pinkie so that there is something to attract it out.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

i made a snake trap once out of a 2-liter pop bottle and it worked great. i just cut the top off the bottle and turned it inside out in the bottle (so it made a 'funnel' into the main body of the bottle) and taped it there. i cut some strips of plastic and taped them around the lip of the bottle opening facing inward so the snake could get in, but not out. i stuck a live fuzzy mouse in there (so it would be warm for as long as possible - usually i feed frozen) and the next morning our great plains ratsnake was in there! i just cut the bottle open and pulled her out! here's a diagram i just drew in, like, 5 seconds (lol):

[​IMG]

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stormyva

That is a great idea Hummingbird!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Hummingbird

lol - thanks, stormy! i was walking around going "iiiiiiiiii am a geeeeeenius! iiiiiiiiii am a geeeeeenius! iiiiiiiiii am a geeeeeenius!" for, like, a week! :D

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. stormyva

lol
    I saw that and it reminded me of the spitoons we used to make in my days up at West Virginia Univeristy. I know EWWWWW gross... but it worked :D

12. Hummingbird

13. doughboy

doughboy Member

what type of strips would i use

14. Hummingbird

i dunno, doughboy - i forget what i used. something pretty thin, like strips from the same pop bottle. you could even use cardboard like from a cereal box. use several of the strips and tape them on there good - the snake will force his way in, but he can't be able to get back out or you've defeated the purpose - lol.

also, snakes like to stick around the edges of walls and stuff. don't put the 'trap' in the middle of the room or anything. i'd make a couple and put one behind a door and the other in the corner or under the bed or something. and if it doesn't work the first night, keep putting the traps out! don't give up! and i'd also try the baking soda/corn flour thing stormy mentioned - you can kind of narrow down where the snake has been if you see the tracks. good luck!!!!!

15. doughboy

doughboy Member

yea but my mom doesnt know so i cant get her to buy me ne live mice so will a frozen thawed work
    i will take it out and warm it back up i water sometimes

16. doughboy

doughboy Member

should i lay the bottles down or stand them up

17. Hummingbird

lay the bottles down, and i think thawed might work. just wait to thaw them until right before you go to bed. you want them to be as fresh as possible. and if it doesn't work the first night, you'll have to thaw more for the next night.

i'd also consider telling your mom - if she finds it in the bathroom tomorrow morning she won't be as ticked off or scared if she has a little warning - PLUS you can get her to take you to get some live prey that will last longer.

18. doughboy

doughboy Member

i put up some traps and i am gonna get some live mice in it tomorrow

19. Hummingbird

cool - wish you the best of luck! and for crying out loud, get a large white bucket with a secure lid (poke/drill lots of teeny tiny air holes in the top) to feed in the future - a paper bag AIN'T gonna cut it! you can get a bucket like this for, like, $2 at home depot or lowes or the walmart paint department . . .

20. stormyva

Sterilite tubs work like a charm... for small snakes a show box sized one can be purchased for less than $1.00

21. doughboy

doughboy Member

my parents keep fussing at me to look but i told them the best chance i got is to look for him at night cause he is noctornal (spelling??) and i have tried to look some but i t aint helping so i am gonna set more traps tonight and see if i can find him imma sit in the room all night and try to find him wheni hear bags and stufff move or i think he got caught in a bottle

22. Hummingbird

looking during the day isn't a bad idea - during the day he's more than likely going to be hiding someplace, resting. look in closets, behind doors, in cabinets, among clothes piles - *everywhere*. looking during the day can even be better than looking at night because you have more light and the snake probably isn't moving around too much.

i'll keep my fingers crossed for ya'!

23. doughboy

doughboy Member

i looked alot earlier and i just set the traps back up and imma go out there every couple of minutes and listen and look

24. doughboy

doughboy Member

p.s. during the process of unthawing the mouse i had frozen them together by accident and i ripped ones stomach open and anotherones head off

25. Hummingbird

that's so gross! i hate when that happens! i've forgotten about feeders before when they've been warming under heat lamps and they've 'plumped' like little hotdogs and then burst and oozed everywhere - absolutely disgusting! that's one reason why i use a cup of really hot water, now, instead of a heat lamp to thaw feeders . . .