Mold problems

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by StikyPaws312, Jun 3, 2011.

1. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Ok so I'm having trouble with mold in my rhac tanks.... I have 3 chahoua, 1 crested, and 1 gargoyle. I feed them all on the same schedule - except my garg gets live insects as well. It's been a fairly warm spring and a hot summer so far but the real problem is the humidity, it's been above 60% humidity nearly every day for the past couple of weeks. Which is perfect for my rhacs! Not so much for drying out the tank enough to not get mold.... lol.

Every night that I put food (Repashy MRP) in the tanks in little cups usually by the next night there is a nice moldy coating over the top... It's driving me crazy.
    The mold got so bad that when I went away for the memorial day weekend I came home and one of my chahoua tanks and my gargoyle tank was covered in a light "hairy" mold over the bottom of at least half the tank... That only took 3 days!!! I was so pissed. I've now put them all on paper towels and I'm just taking the food out as soon as I see it mold - normally I would leave the non-moldy food in there for 2 to 3 days until I put in new food.

I guess I'm just frustrated. Anyone else having this problem? I've resorted to spraying the tanks every other day instead of daily just because it never drops below 60%... I don't see it harming them at all. I've also put a fan in the room to hopefully get a little more ventilation in the tanks. Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

Oh, and just because I like posts with pictures, here's little Spike (his tank was the one with the mold on the bottom :( )

Attached Files:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

I feed the repashy food dry a lot of times.

If mold is covering more than just the food.. you may want to give a thorough cleaning to the entire tank.

The water I use is more acidic as is the substrate i use (coconut soil). I am not sure if that would help or not.. but it works for me.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

I had previously had eco-earth in the tanks and I took it out a last night. I had been doing the sides of the tank wipe down and take all the furniture out and clean it with hot water... that didn't help so I just took it all out. Hopefully having paper towels only right now will help... I'll have to look into coconut soil... I always wondered how all of you with PDFs did it! Lol.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

eco earth.. coconut soil.. its all the same stuff. My understanding is that it is a more acidic type of substrate.. so it is harder for molds to grow.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. maryse

maryse New Member

I was having the exact same problem (food wise)!! My air runs all night, so it's not too hot, but every morning, the food doesn't look so great. That's why I was inquiring on another post about feeding it dry. I'd hate to think my geckos were eating it while it was "turning".