Monitors- Are they left out?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by dragonfiend, Oct 12, 2004.

1. dragonfiend

dragonfiend Embryo

Hey everyone. I have been posting on this site for quite some time and I find that the information and discussions that take place here are absolutely priceless for a herpetoculturalists expanding knowledge of reptiles and amphibians. But What I have noticed is there isn't too much about any monitors. I would like to see how many people are interested in Monitors in general. It would really help out if you answered this simple question for me:

Do you own or have you owned a monitor lizard? If so, what species? Please share your experiences.

Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

There hasn't been much need for a monitor forum, not too many people around here seem to own them. I'm sure Axe would consider one if enough people thought it a good idea.
    As for my own, I have none, not that I wouldn't love one. But time, space, and other constrictions prevent me. I did work at a zoo and got to work with a Khomain's Water Monitor. She was gorgeous! I've never seen such a laid back, spoiled rotten lizard ever. For her massive size, she was a little angel and loved get her "jacuzzi baths" as her keeper called them. Monitors are one of my fav lizards, I see you have one, how old? What kind of enclosure do you have?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. dragonfiend

dragonfiend Embryo

I have a Nile monitor at home, and at work I work with, water, crocodile, dumerils, savannahs, black throats, timors, argus, acanthuras, tegus, peach throats, and black trees. I LOVE MONITORS! I have my hatchling nile in a little terrarium but He will be moved into larger enclosures as he grows. I am lucky enough to have a decent sized breeding facility at home with cages from 5 1/2 gal. to room sized cages. What type of monitor would you get if you could?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i myself have a bosc a.k.a savnnah monitor. he is awsome. they grow at such a fast rate too. for the 1st month i had him he wasn't too keen on being touched or held but now that have had him for a couple months he is like a dog. when i put my hand in his tank he comes to me. then i put on his little leash and i walk him around the house or outside in my neighborhood. hes only a foot long now but he turns heads whenever someone relizes whats on the leash lol.
    dragonfiend where do you work?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

Yeah I'm really into monitors too. I love monitors and tegus and wish to keep quite a few species. Right now I'm a savannah keeper, hopefully soon a breeder. I'm looking to add water monitors and timors to my collection next year, as well as blue and argentine b&w tegus. I'd actually love to open a reptile- or possibly just monitor/tegu rescue, but that may be a while. Glad to see we have a few monitor enthusiasts here! :)

P.S.- I read up everything I can get on monitors, and I'm always glad to share/exchange knowledge with others. Feel free to chat w/ me whenever by PM, AIM, or IRC (the reptilerooms chatroom: IRC://irc.sorcery.net:6667 OR IRC://kechara.sorcery.net:6667 #reptilerooms). :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i would love to get a blue tree monitor, but i dont have $800 or the room :)

12. nychthermal

nychthermal Embryo

I don't yet own a monitor, but I do own two tegus, one Arg B&W and a Blue/Red Hybrid from the St. Pierres. I would love to get an Ionides (Blackthroat) someday, and I follow a lot of monitor forums just because I find them so fascinating. If I move into a larger place anytime soon I'm definetly going for an Ionides though... I'm already infested with lizards though... I've barely got enough room for myself!

13. cynicaleuphoria

cynicaleuphoria Embryo

I currently own a black roughneck monitor, but he's still young, maybe a half year old. He's great to have around, even if he does get into mischief like hiding in a shelf high up (I'm only 5'3", too short to reach anything!) or trying to get into my bearded dragon's enclosure, who in return becomes all dominant. It'd be awesome to have a monitor forum or something of the sort here though! I've been touring this place for a while, but just decided to join today. See if maybe I could meet some people or just not feel so much like a stranger intruding.
    As of now I'm looking at a savannah monitor for much later down the road, or another black roughneck...

14. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

Monitors OWN j00! ^_^ Hey Axe, whadya think? There are a lot of monitor/tegu owners out there, could we maybe have a forum for them? A "Monitors and Tegus" forum? :) Who thinks so?

15. reptile_lover01

reptile_lover01 Embryo

Sounds cool! But I like the Perenti (I don't think it is a moniter though). SOme of you guys mentioned working with reptiles in a zoo. Could you give me some information on education in Herpetology, I am very interested in it!

16. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

Yes it is! :) The Perentie (Varanus giganteus) is a monitor naitive to Australia, and is Austrailia's largest lizard. They are cool! I want one too! :)

Click here to see a nice big Perentie pic

17. reptile_lover01

reptile_lover01 Embryo

I thought the Perenti was a goana (spelled wrong I think).

18. narfdanarf

narfdanarf Embryo

Nope it's a monitor....

Anyways count up another vote for me! I have two Niles, currently one is about 3.5 feet and the other is a little over 1.5 feet. Also had Savannahs, looking at getting a tegu sometime soon. blue methinks

19. BMK

BMK Embryo

Lovin Monitors

I have a Savannah he's about a year and a half old. He's great.

20. lonewulf

lonewulf Embryo

I have a Savannah too he is about 4 months / 5 months aprox .. he is 10 inches and growing he was the smallest of the bunch I picked and he has grown 2 inches in the month and a half I have had him .. handleable and lovesto be stroked just behind his ears .. he falls asleep if I do it long enough .. Sav's are very sweet !

21. EvilSquish

EvilSquish New Member

I have a big sav and I think he's awesome, he's a great looking animal with a great and funky personality. I'm a big fan of monitors in general, all of them, and I like how they all pretty well look the same (body shape that is) but not one monitor will ever act the same as another... they're wonderful critters. I'm not fond of the power poops though, but hey can't win `em all.

22. FertGirl

FertGirl New Member

I own 1 Savannah monitor, and 3 Red Ridge Tail monitors. I want maybe a WT/BT cross, if the mighty Sobek ever breeds, i have my money up LMAO!!!

All 3 of my ackies were from an encounter at a pet store, they were BEGGING for the pet store to take them back, i walked over, saying, i'll give you $700 for them all, if i can see them, i came to his apartment, he had one that was very skinny, but no bones showing....yet....about 21'', another with a respitory infection, around 17'', and one more, relitivly healthy at 27'', they were all in one 35gal long.....improper basking set-up, they were being fed 1 pinkie each every wk. I bought them, asking for trouble....My room mate wasn't so happy with the new additions. She was already complaining that i have 2 cats, 3 ferrets, 1 snake and a sav...that i didn't need anymore..oh well, it's a large apartment...she'll get over it! I love animals......grew up around the 2 cats and always had ferrets......i'm sure when my sav gets bigger he'll want to eat my ferrets though LOL

My sav, was my first reptile, got him at a reptile expo, very nice, even though he was a WC, he was in good shape....i paid $200 for a 75gallon, a bunch of substrate, 100 killed pinkies (he was only 5''-7'' so they were all a little big, i fed cricks first) a hiding spot, a lamp, with 3 150Watt heat lamps, a 3' UVA bulb holder (purple, i get confused LMAO) and 3' 8.0 bulb for it. And then the sav, i was so happy :(

23. Fiend4Lizards

Fiend4Lizards New Member

i apsolutly love my savanna monitor and all monitors at that.