monitors. . .

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by rezon, Aug 18, 2004.

1. rezon

rezon New Member

monitors. . .

ok i was tryin to find out which monitors can be kept i wanna get one

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. herpslave

herpslave Member

I don't think you want one. You will have scars... Just get over this monitor fad you have. First you want a komodo, LOL. Now you want some other monitor... Did you ever report that shop...

SORRY IF YOU ARENT THE KOMODO PERSON... But you seem similar. I would not think a monitor would be aloud in your area if a iguana is not.

There enclosures require a Super large area to explore and move around. If not very super mega tame it can turn on you at any time and you will not like the outcome for him and you. They have some hard requirements to reach also... A 6 foot cage will not do for a adult monitor. not even a 10.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. rezon

rezon New Member

i just love big animals. . . and yesi am that same person. . . i seen savana monitors in pet stores. . . and i live in manhattan new york but im never there i all ways upstate in westchester and if im not here im in florida

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Sav's are beautiful creatures, but they need a lot of requirements that a lot of people are not ready for. They need a basking site of 150*. Their enclosure needs to be the size of a small office (as they get older), and they will never be tame, like a beardie or leo. There are some sav's that are tame, but I like to call them "broken", not tame. Usually, their temps and food are not correct, and they've basically become this herp that has given up. Sav's can never be tamed...well, they can in the same way that a tiger can become tame...but they can still turn on you at any time. A friend of mine has had 1 for 3 years now, and she is beautiful (the sav, not my friend ;) ). Yet, my friend knew what she was getting into when she purchased it. It wasn't being planned to hang-out with. And you should see the scars on both her legs and arms from his claws...and this is only from when she cleans his enclosure. Also, they love to escape, when given the chance. If there are any weak spots in their enclosure, they will find it. Then, once they're out they love to hide. And you would be surprised at what small spaces a 4 foot lizard can hide...I only recommend these for the most experienced herpists. Are you inlove with the idea of a large lizard? or in just getting a monitor? If you really want a monitor, I would recommend a dwarf ackie. They only grow 22-27 inches, and seem a slightly less viscious.

Rebecca

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. rezon

rezon New Member

trsur me space is not an issuse 4 me

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

well then if space is no issue i have a savannah monitor and i love the little guy. they say that until they are 1.5' feed them as much as they want and from then on feed them once every other day. they like to dig. i used to have reptibark as the entire substrate but now i have 1/3 reptibark 2/3 bed a beast. he dug himself a little hole to hide in and he corners crickets in there its awsome lol.

12. rezon

rezon New Member

wow sounds cool i might lookinto it when i start buildin my house in florida