more cresty questions

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by Shanna66, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

whats the best age to sex a cresty? im starting to think that jack may be a female, the breeder said he was a male but maybe she was mistaken, he is over 6 months and still no buldge and he is too wiggly and dark for me to properly look for any pores

and if jack does turn out to be a jacky i would like to look into housing him and freya together, how would i go about doing that? ive got a 18x18x24 tall exo terra is that big enough for 2 cresties?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

A more accurate way of judging the sex is weight - I think having a combination of three things can give you pretty strong confidence as to what the true gender is:

1) Age - Over 6 months old

2) Weight - 25 grams seems to be the accepted 99% accurate sexing weight. Some people even go as low as 20grams but it doesn't hurt to be safe before making a conclusion.

3) Pores & Bulge - Pores are honestly the only way you can be 110% certain above all other factos, as there are sometimes the rare exception; I've heard of a gecko that was nearly a year old and pushing past the "safe" weight mark that ended up dropping a bulge. But thats are extremely rare and unusual exception to the rule.

An 18" x 18" x 24" is adequate for a pair of females, I've housed up to trio in there but noted the occasional bickering. Nothing serious, but enough to convince me that a pair is best kept in this size. Make sure there is plenty of food and water to share and that there are plenty of hiding spaces.

There is always the possibility that they may not get along, the best bet is to introduce them both into a neutral environment at the same time; being sure they are not hungry and there is also food readily available to avoid as much reason for conflict as possible. They should also be about the same size, as larger females occasionally feel a need to pick on the smaller ones. I've really only ever had one compatability issue with my girls, usually they tolerate each other quite well and often sleep next to each other and share their food dish - it's cute = )