More photography!

Discussion in 'Photos & Photography' started by Badger711, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Badger711

Badger711 Member

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

depth of field means that you can see that some things are closer and some things are farther away so at 1.4 you have more depth of field. With 22 there is no depth of field because everything is in focus.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

I wasnt saying anything in an attacking way i feel like you think that, but i mean the more depth of field as in the increased blurry background.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Depth of field refers to the size of the area of the picture that is actually in focus. It doesn't refer to the amount of blur. I think you guys are thinking of depth of field as the name of the artistic effect, but this is not the case.

When you focus your camera, you determine the center line of your "field." The "field" is the area that is in focus in your picture. If you have a large, or deep field, you have a large area in focus both in front of and behind your center line. If you have a small, or shallow field, then there is very little in front of and behind your center point that is actually in focus. It's kind of hard to explain in words...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Badger711

Badger711 Member

^What she said was what I was trying to convey, very pooly. lol.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ajlista

The way i was taught was reffering to the amount of blur is what your depth of field is, i understand the literal term depth of field, but saying more DoP is referring to the more blur behind the focal point

12. Badger711

Badger711 Member

It's the opposite from what I understand, it's the measure of what's in focus, not out of focus.

13. ajlista

Lol than ThePhotoForum aparently sucks, lol idk they told me the opposite but you are right by depth of field is how wide a range of whats in focus.

14. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Lol