my 7 month old leo hasn't eaten regularly in 2 weeks!!! please help!!

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by pceforevr, Nov 4, 2013.

1. pceforevr

pceforevr Embryo

okay so my leo used to eat about on average 15 mealworms a night. we keep his tank around 90 degrees on the warm side. he has five hides, two on cold side, humid one in middle and two on hot side. he has a twenty gallon long tank. we keep calcium and water in tank at all times. he was eating fine and then all the sudden he stopped eating. we thought it was because he was about to shed and he doesnt like to eat during this process. so after he shedded we tried again and nothing.. every once in a while he'll eat one or two but thats it. we have them dusted with calc+d3 every time so he's at least getting something. he has the green substrate looking stuff. no sand. and he has only pooped three times in the past to weeks. drinks and eats his calc. but no mealworms. we hand feed him, so when we drop it in front of him sometimes he'll act like he wants it and then looks away. other times he'll completely ignore it. please help. were really worried about our little jeffery. we know that leos dont eat as much when they get older but i dont think this is normal. also we havent fed him crickets in about two months because he has a really hard getting them even with the back legs off. also he looks really healthy, fat tail, stands up with no belly on the floor and walks around. his colors are really bright. he did have mbd for about a month all together and we fixed that with d3, so we know what to look for. he also weighs 68 grams. were really stumped and really need some advice.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

I don't know what green substrate looking stuff is. You mean carpet? Nothing loose in the tank otherwise he could accidently swallow it. Best bet is carpet, paper towel or slate tile (found in home depot and lowes). You said you keep his warm side at 90. Are you using a UTH (Under tank heater) or trying to warm him using a light source (which doesn't work)? Also what vitamins? Calcium without D3 for him to lickis fine. To much D3 is no good. Repashy every other feeding is fine.

If you feel his belly is it hard or soft? Is there any discolor? is he drinking water? Is he at least using the bathroom?

Lot of times leo's just won't eat for a bit. Mealworms are fine but not the best. To much Chitin really. Switch him to superworms.

If you think he is impacted (which that may or may not be it) you can either try the home remedy or take him to the vet for a checkup. If there is no vet this is the home remedy

warm baths twice a day. Each bath lasting 10 minutes. Warm the water if it cools (temps at 80-85 are fine for this).
    3 drops of mineral oil on his nose. He will lick it off. Massage belly gently as if your petting his belly with your finger. Downwards so it helps him pass whatever may be blocking and causing him not to eat.

But thats if he is impacted or if you believe so. Take the little guy to a vet who deals with exotics. Normal vets have no idea wtf they are doing. Petshops are idiots don't listen to them. You can easily find a vet by using google.

If you don't mind roaches use dubia roaches (Nymphs) otherwise switch to superworms.

answer all the questions I asked so I may properly help you. Or others can.