my anole is thin i think

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by souledge, Feb 12, 2006.

1. tokai

tokai New Member

RE: Re: RE: my anole is thin i think

you should leave half the screen uncovered for proper air exchange

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. greenanole5894

greenanole5894 New Member

Well, you don't seem(you may be) like a responsible anole keeper.(don't take it personally)

You should know to keep green anole in humididty 80% and temp 80 degrees fareheit - 87 degrees fareheit.

I do think you are partially a responsible owner if you log onto reptile rooms to talk about your anole problems.
    Ill give you credit there ;-).

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. souledge

souledge New Member

na i dont really take it personaly i kinda agree with you. i do know what the temp and humidity needs to be the only problem is im haveing trouble getting them up high enought dou to the fact that i have a 67 gallon tank i think i have found away to get the temp up abit but it will take me a few weeks or so to get ahold of the bulb i need.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. souledge

souledge New Member

also i am leaving the screen parily uncoverd for proper air exchange

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. souledge

souledge New Member

i actualy removed all the stuff covering the screen and there was no temp difference. also what i thought was thin isnt really thin.i probably thought he was skinny beacuse i grew up and stll am with a dog that is over whieght so when i see somthing outline of a rib ui think its thin im looking at him now and ghe looks like other pictures of anoles ive seen. only he is brown .

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. pigger93

pigger93 Member

lol

12. colinu

colinu New Member

Re: RE: my anole is thin i think

I have one and really like it (Anoles seem to as well)

13. my_baby_anoles

my_baby_anoles Member

ok first off you really do not seem like you know very much about anoles. First off, anoles need a 80 - 90 degree all over temperature in their tank during the day. Lights should also be positioned so that you have a slighty cooler area and a slightly hotter area.
    Second its a dewlap, not a throat fan and it is not a puberty thing, they do it when angry, or if you scared it he could also do it to try to scare you away. They do also do it when other females are around.
    Their humidity is supposed to be between 55 and 70 percent. You need to buy a hygrometer for that.
    Your anole also has nothing to do with your aunts. It doesn't matter what she has in her cage, it is what you do. What time you feed him could be why he is getting thin. Crickets can hide very well where they cannot be seen. Example: under the bedding, under the foot of logs or sticks, they also hide well in the plants. If there is a lot of traffic or noise around thier tank it can discourage eating. Also other pets having access to the cage area is very stressful on them.

Last thing I want to know is if you play with your anole. They are never to be played with, they are mostly observation pets. Touching them causes stress and low appetite. Another thing I just thought of is are you givng the crickets a coating of calcium powder at least once a week and giving them vitamin supplements?

14. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

ok folks, souledge has aknowledged that he needs information to help care for his anole. True, some of the info wld have been better if gotten beforehand, but he is definitely asking and getting help now - it's never too late. It's great that he's actively seeking help and implimenting them.
    Let's lay off the criticism and just offer constructive help.

15. my_baby_anoles

my_baby_anoles Member

ok sorry lol i did get kinda mean, sorry dude. But hey there was some info in there that you could use.

16. bratspets

bratspets Member

Re: RE: my anole is thin i think

She did it! Three little crickets in a row.
    I am still learning about mine, too.

Now if we can all learn good public relations... :wink: (thanks, Spot...and that is one reason why you are such a good moderator).

17. Follow_the_lies

Follow_the_lies New Member

Yeah, it's not like no one here has ever had a problem with a pet. I'd much rather deal with people that get a pet without knowing much and are trying, than the people that remain ignorant at the expense of their pet's health/life. We all had to start somewhere. To get to the point, you have been trying a lot of new stuff, it's possible that all the change and interaction is causing him to stress. You do need to get his temps and humidity right, but as soon as you do try just leaving him alone for a bit. Feed him, but try to make as little noise or changes to his tank as possible.

18. lewis_lizard14

lewis_lizard14 New Member

my anoles tank is around 90 in the basking area is this ok

19. Follow_the_lies

Follow_the_lies New Member

90 is a LITTLE on the high side, 87 is the ideal, but 90 isn't life threatening or anything.