My anoles mated for the first time!!!!

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by UltAnoleMan, May 24, 2002.

1. UltAnoleMan

UltAnoleMan New Member

:eek: :( :) :eek: :eek: :eek: :p :( :D :D :D :)
    IM SO HAPPY AND EXCITED!!!!
    My big male that i bought 4 days ago mated with the other anole that also bought not to long ago and also thought it was a male.lol

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Camillo

Camillo New Member

My anoles just mated for the second time!

And apparently, Dezzy still has some business left Cammy. They keep flirting. Geez.

My little lizard is getting more action than me! :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Camillo

Camillo New Member

Is mating multiple times during a season necessary, or does it mean that Dezzy is just... *ahem* "bored"? I've read that the females can hold enough sperm to last her the whole breeding season, but what happened today makes me wonder.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Yeah... they can hold sperm that long... although, if you separate them, and the first clutch is infertile, all subsequent clutches will also almost certainly be interfile.

If your first clutch is fertile, then you can safely separate them, and pretty much guarantee fertile eggs the whole season. Basically, if her first clutch is female, then she has a couple of infertile clutches, and then starts laying fertile ones, with no access to a male... then having a male there wouldn't have made a difference.

But yeah, if he's aggressively trying to mate with her, and she doesn't want it (and you can tell.. she'll be doing whatever she can to get away from him), and she's been laying fertile clutches, then separate 'em.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Camillo

Camillo New Member

She doesn't seem to be disliking it. She kind of struggles at first, but gives up quickly. I dunno. I'm just worried about it damaging the developing eggs.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Well, it shouldn't really be a big problem unless she's already started laying eggs. If she's already started laying, and the eggs are fertile, then split 'em up.

Having the male permanently trying to mate (whether she seems to be "enjoying" it or not), can stress her out to the point that she holds back the eggs inside her.

Leading to becoming eggbound, or other problems.

So yeah, like I said, if she's already dropped fertile eggs this year, I'd split 'em.