My Ball Python has Mucus Coming From His Mouth - what is it?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by ajajaj, Jan 16, 2005.

1. ajajaj

ajajaj Embryo

My ball python is a very healthy snake. I have not had any health issues with him at all. He's been growing nicely, eating regularly, and seems in overall good health. Only issue he has at times is trouble shedding. Today something unusual happened, and I don't know what it was. He had a big gob of mucus come out of his mouth. I was just holding him, and then all of a sudden this liquid was hanging from his mouth. Not trying to be gross, but for lack of a better description, it looked like something that would come out of your nose if you had a cold, and a runny nose. It was clear in color, and was a bit thinck in consistency. This is the only think I noticed, and I don't know what it was. It only happened this one time. Is this something I should be concerned about. What could this be? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jambooti

jambooti New Member

What is his warm side cage temperature and humidity level? What substrate? It could be some kind of respiratory infection but I think that's usually tiny bubbles coming from the nostrils.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

RIs can also cause mucus in the mouth. It is actually a pretty good indication of one. I would make sure your temps are kept a little on the high side. 94-95 on the warm side and 85-86 on the cool. If you caught it early enough, the warmer temps for a couple of weeks may take care of the problem. Humidity no more than 30% to 40%.

Also, try handling the snake as little as possible for the next week or two. Only disturbing it to do a brief inspection to see how the RI is doing. Just let it chill for a couple of weeks in the warmer temps. Offer food as usual.

Keep in mind it may not be an RI, and I am assuming that if it is an RI, you have never dealt with one before so going to see a vet might be in your best interest.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Oh I forgot, if the mucus is real cloudy or cottage cheesy it could be mouth rot. Like I said, seeing a vet would be in your best interest.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

It does sound like an RI, a vet trip would be a wise thing to do.

Shrap has given you some pretty good recommendations.... the only thing I would do differently is to take the temps to 92° across the entire cage.... no cool side. You want to make sure that the temps get high enough in the entire cage to kick the RI. The humidity level is VERY important... if they levels get abouve the 40% that Shrap mentioned the snake has a good chance of "choking" on it's mucus.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ajajaj

ajajaj Embryo

Thank you all for your advice. Here's what I can share about my situation. I've got one side of the tank at a higher temperature, and the other side lower, so he can choose where he wants to be. The lower side of the tank is about 85 degrese right now, but fluctuates a couple of degrese up and down, depending on night or day when I turn his one light off. The higher side of the tank I have raised the temp to about 95-96%. His humidity is about 30 right now. I have a wood stove in the room that he is in (but he is in a tank), so generally it's usually warm in here. Humidity is usually not very high b/c of the heat in the room, I actually have a hard time sometimes keeping the humidity up because the wood stove keeps the room so dry; I
    actually think it's quite comfortably warm in this area for the snake which is why I keep him in this room. My husband and kids and I take him out of the cage in this area because it's most comfortable for him. When I noticed this mucus thing happen (which was only this one time), I didn't think it was anything like an RI. He didn't have mucus bubbles or anything. I had a boa (Red Tail Boa) once before that had developed an RI, so unfortunately I've had a little experience with an RI, so I looked him over closely when this happened, looking for signs of this. It didn't appear to me to be RI related, but again I wasn't sure that's why I asked for some help/advice from others who might have alot of experience, I didn't know if this was
    another type of the start of an RI. Maybe it is the start of an RI. I just remember my other snake, and the issues I had on my hand when he had his RI, and this didn't strike me as an RI. I will watch him closely. It sounds like I've got the temps OK right now, except one of you suggest 92 across the cage. I would have to raise the one side more. How would you do that, by covering part of the cage to prevent heat escape? Here's how I have it set up: The warm part of the cage has two lamps on top. One is a sun glow,
    150W bulb that stays on during day. The other is 150W heat lamp Night Light. This one stays on all the time. On this same side of this tank there is a heat pad. I use the one that goes under the tank (stick s on the bottom of the tank), thus not to cause him burns. He has a thin layer of bedding in his cage (don't remember what kind of bedding, but I know it's not cedar; I know cedar is not good). I will keep a close eye on him, over the next few days, and if need be, we'll take a trip to the vet. We have one picked out, although in the time I've had Azodia (my snake's name) we've never had to go to the vet. The vet I used previously for my other snake is no longer in operation. Thank you all for your advice. I think I will have no
    problem keeping the humidity down, and may have to adjust the heat a little. Azodia is very active, so I am going to feed him tomorrow (I must have the best eating ball ever b/c he's an awesome eater - never had those ball python eating issues, thank god). Oh, I when I looked him over, I checked his mouth out pretty well, and no signs of mouth rot (unfortunately I've been through a pretty bad round of that as well). Anyway, thank you all for your advice. If you have any other advice, please let me know. I appreciate all of your thoughts. I am new to this site and I'm impressed with the concern and thoughtfulness of others. Thanks again! Regards, Audrey

12. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

The temps need to be consistent across the entire cage to combat the RI.... lamps on each side or covering the top completely will help.
    One thing that concerns me... I dont see a mention of cage size but a 150 Watt bulb is a LOT of heat for a small cage unless your room is frigid cold. If you dont already have it get a digital thermometer and get some good accurate temps readings in the cage.

13. ajajaj

ajajaj Embryo

Thanks, all of your advice is well taken.

14. PythonStriker67

PythonStriker67 New Member

has to be a resp problem or mouth rot from a rat or mouse bite or from striking the glass...