My bearded dragon may have yellow fungus disease

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Hayden, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Hayden

Hayden Embryo

Hello there my bearded dragon might possibly have yfd I have some photos. If you could identify what is it, that would be great. This started to happen after he shedded. This is really bothering me I have grown really attached to my bearded dragon so I hope its nothing serious.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hayden

Hayden Embryo

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Hello Hayden, welcome to the boards = )

It appears your image is not working... can you try uploading the photo to http://tinypic.com , http://photobucket.com or a similar website? This will allow you to paste either a direct link or IMG image into the body of the post.

I believe Cammy may have saved our article on Yellow Fungus written by the best of the best, Cheri Smith. I'll ask her to try to find it for you until we can see pictures.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Hayden

Hayden Embryo

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Hayden

Hayden Embryo

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Hi, Hayden, and welcome to the boards. Your pictures don't look like YFD to me, but rather more like a pre-shed state. Beardies tend to shed in patches and those look like patches that have yet to shed. Did the patches appear all at once or did they spread over time? If they became apparent immediately after he shed recently, I would again say that this is probably just a shedding issue. However, if they did start out in small patches and gradually spread to their current state, then he may in fact have a fungal issue of some kind. Hopefully this is not the case, though. Has he exhibited any change in behavior? Can you get us a more clear view of the ventral area?

Having said all that, I am going to post the articles by Cheri concerning this disease just in case you would like to look them over. This could take a minute to get up, but they will be in the beardie forum shortly.

Edit: Went ahead and posted the unformatted article. Sorry it's such a mess, but it should have all the info you need just in case. =)

12. Hayden

Hayden Embryo

I think you might be right about the shedding, today after giving him a bath I noticed his tail was shedding and it was part of one of the pictures i put up.His belly on the right side is still a bit yellow, I think I will give it a few days to see if he will just shedd it off. Is fungus infections contagious because I have 2 lizards in the enclosure. Thank you for looking at the pictures, hopefully it's not YFD.

13. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Fungal dermatological infections are contagious to other reptiles, so if it is an infection you will need to isolate both lizards immediately. However, looking at these pictures and based on the fact that it's coming off in the shed, my gut says this is nothing to worry about. Definitely keep an eye on it and let us know if anything changes, but I think we are just looking at a shedding situation here. =)

14. Hayden

Hayden Embryo

Alright so it is for sure just a shedding situation woohoo! what a relief