MY BEAUTIFUL SHYSTEE(THE IGUANA)

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by cd, Apr 8, 2003.

1. cd

cd Member

I FIRST SAW SHYSTEE ON MY FIRST DAY WORKING AA A PET STORE. SHE WAS THIN A YELLOW BECAUSE OF COMPLICATIONS DURING SHIPPING. THEY WERE GOING TO PUT HER TO SLEEP, BUT I BEGGED THEM TO GIVE HER TO ME SO THAT SHE COULD AT LEAST EXPERIENCE LOVE BEFORE SHE WAS GONE. (SHE WAS ONLY SIX WEEKS OLD.) SO THEY GAVE HER TO ME AND I KEPT HER IN THE POCKET OF MY SMOCK DURING THE DAY. AND KEPT HER IN A TEN GALLON AT HOME. (IT WAS ALL I COULD AFFORD, AND IT WAS OK SEEING AS HOW SHE WAS SO SMALL.) I DIDN'T THINK SHE'D LAST A WEEK, BUT LOW AND BEHOLD SHE STARTED TO MAKE A COME BACK. SHE EVEN STARTED TRYING TO LEAVE MY POCKET TO GET TO MY SHOULDER, AND FREAKED OUT SOME CUSTOMERS. SO I LEFT HER AT HOME. THAT NIGHT I RETURNED TO MY HOUSE, BUT SHE WASN'T IN HER TANK. (I HADN'T PURCHASED A LID BECAUSE I DIDN'T THINK SHE HAD THE STRENGTH TO GET OUT. I WAS SO SAD BECAUSE I THOUGHT THAT SHE'D DIED, AND A FAMILY MEMBER HAD BURIED HER. BUT THEN SHE LEAPED OFF MY BLINDS AND ONTO MY FACE!
    I HAD SHYSTEE FOR THREE AND A HALF WONDERFUL YEARS. SHE NEVER BIT ME, AND WAS JUST A WONDERFUL FRIEND. AND SHE GOT SO LARGE, AND SO BRILLIANTLY COLORED THAT I ASUMED SHE WAS MALE. (BY THE WAY, SHE WASN'T ALWAYS IN A TEN GALLON, I PROMISE.)
    BUT THEN SHE BEGAN TO DETERIORATE. THE VETS COULDN'T EVEN FIGURE IT OUT. IT WAS EGG BINDING, BUT BECAUSE OF THE SIZE OF THE PORES ON HER LEGS, THE NEVER EVEN CHECKED FOR THAT UNTIL IT WAS WAY TOO LATE. IT WAS TO SHORT OF NOTICE TO COME UP WITH FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR THE SURGURY, AND BY THAT TIME, THE SURGURY ITSELF WOULD HAVE TAKEN HER ANYWAYS. I WASN'T ABLE TO SAVE HER A SECOND TIME, AND SHE DIED IN MY ARMS.
    I FELT EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY GUILTY FOR A REALLY LONG TIME. BUT I KNOW THAT I GAVE HER THE BEST LIFE THAT I COULD HAVE. AND I KNOW THAT SHE WAS HAPPY WHILE SHE WAS HERE.
    I WILL ALWAYS HAVE REPTILES IN MY LIFE, BUT SHE WILL NEVER BE REPLACED.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Very sorry to hear of your loss. :) It sounds like she had a wonderful life with you even if it was short. She had the chance to know the love she would have missed out on if you hadn't saved her from the store.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Reptile15

Reptile15 Embryo

That was a sad story.im sorry for your loss.Its ashame that you brought her back but to lose her 3.5 years later.at least she had a chance to live.sorry again.good luck with other reptiles later on.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. nathanjburt

nathanjburt New Member

I know how you are feeling as I too have recently lost a my best friend (even if he was a lizard). I can tell that you loved her loads and I bet she thought you were the best person in the world and I know you did everything for her. Morn for Shystee or you will never feel right and good luck with any other pets that you buy.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. blessedbe

blessedbe Embryo

I'm SO SAD to hear of your loss,but in the same thought I am SO GLAD to hear she had the loving support of someone to believe in her (even if just for a little while) and her time here was not wasted,but meant SO MUCH!!!! My heart goes out to you and your's!!!
    Tonya :)

[Edited on 14/5/2003 by blessedbe]

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. cd

cd Member

Thanks for your kind words everyone. Today would have been her fifth birthday, (I didn't know her real one, so when I got her, I calculated it, and picked today.) I've been thinking about her alot this week, and I've spent tonight reading and trying to respond to all of the other stories in this forom, and messing up my poor beardies sleep schedule by keeping him up way past his bedtime. I'm really glad that we have this forom. It helps to share this terrible experience with others who can understand how much more painful this is, than just losing an animal. Thanks again guys,
    -cd

12. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

That's what we're all hear for... mutual support.