My Brown Anole Is Sick

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by martialartmom, Jun 25, 2004.

1. martialartmom

martialartmom Embryo

My brown anole female has been sick for two days. She is small (we've had her for about 4 months) and is a tank with a male anole that is quite a bit larger than she is. She started shedding two days ago and usually it takes just a few hours, but she still has dead skin hanging on! She is VERY lethargic, to the point where I am just watching to make sure she is still breathing. The last crickets we bought were Medium crickets, but were a little larger than what we had normally been feeding them. She struggled to eat one, but did get it all down. I have since bought smaller crickets for her, but haven't seen her eat one. I'm not sure if that is it, or perhaps she is trying to lay eggs. Any suggestions?
    Help!
    MartialArtMom

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Have you considered seperating them to see if that helps? Maybe try a bit of vegetable oil on the tip of her nose (if you can catch her) to help move the cricket through (in case it's stuck). You could also try leaving a little peach baby food... easier to digest in case that is the problem. Has she already been laying eggs or are you just suspecting that she may be starting?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. martialartmom

martialartmom Embryo

I'm just suspecting about the eggs. They have mated several times that I have seen over the past few months, but we've never seen any evidence of eggs... I just figured it may be time. Are their any signs to look for when they are ready to lay eggs?
    In the meantime i'll try the vegetable oil and go get some baby food.
    Thanks!
    MartialArtMom

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Watch for her doing any digging. Anoles tend to bury their eggs. They're only about the size of a tic tac, so I wouldn't be surprised if she's already layed some. They do tend to lay them near the roots of plants.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. martialartmom

martialartmom Embryo

Thank you so much for all of your help! I tried the oil last evening and she seems to be perking up a bit. She still isn't even trying to get the dead skin off of her from shedding... she's never done that before. I'm going to try the babyfood this morning.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

To help the shedding you could try spraying water directly on her. I know they don't sit still for it very long, but it could help loosen the shed a little more.