My gecko won't eat!

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by pyritewolf, Mar 30, 2015.

1. pyritewolf

pyritewolf Embryo

Some general info:
    I found a TINY gecko, approx 1 or 2 months old, about ten days ago on the ceiling of my flat in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I looked up some information online intending to release him in a safe area, but since winter is coming, I'm in the middle of the city and he's so tiny I decided to take him in. Unfortunately, there's really few reptile vets and shops here, and the only one I could find in the rush of setting his tank up was rather poor at best. I set up a small tank and got him crickets, but yesterday as I was cleaning his tank i noticed there were at least four or five live crickets running around. They were missing some legs, but none was dead.

It may be relevant also, that the days before I found him it was really hot and there were a lot of bugs so I threw a lot of insecticide. At the time I thought he was a moth stuck on the ceiling (yeah my eyesight is terrible i know), and even though I didn't throw insecticide directly at him I did throw a lot around the place where he was.

Now on to the recommended questions!
    1. What substrate are you using?
    Paper towels; he had bark chips up until yesterday.
    2. What sized enclosure do you have your leo in?
    Ehh I think it's about 30cm x 15cm x 20cm.
    3. What are your warm side temperatures?
    I have no clue.
    4. How are the temperatures measured?
    They aren't measured ;__;
    5. What are you using as your heat source?
    I'm currently warming one side with my modem and my computer since I haven't found a proper reptile store yet (honestly it's even hard to get regular lamps that emit enough heat due to local market regulations).
    6. Do you have any method of regulating the temperatures?
    Moving the modem... I know... This is terrible...
    7. How many hides do you have for your leo? What are they?
    One... A cheese pot with an entrance cut out, covered with paper towels so he/she won't get hurt with the edges.
    8. What food have you offered?
    Crickets, ocassionaly tiny spiders and flies (he loved those but I gotta catch them).
    9. How often do you offer food?
    A cricket a day, plus whatever else I can find him.
    10. Are you supplementing the food? If so, with what and how often?
    No :C
    11. How old is your leo?
    1-2 months (I'm not sure but it's the tiniest thing, about 2-3cms without the tail)
    12. How long have you had your leo?
    Ten days
    13. Give a little detail about the behaviour of the Leo also
    He's very small and extremely frightened of pretty much everything (except hands, he's getting used to seeing hands near him without freaking out). Today I gave him the smallest cricket I could find before leaving to work, I don't know if he ate it but he ran away from it initially. He's tiny, I do mean tiny, and looks really skinny.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

Might I start off by saying dont get a leopard gecko if you're not going to be able to care for it. With that being said, if you still need help, you need a complete revamp. You need to get more heat in, just got a regular lamp for now with like a 60 watt bulb, just to get osmething, you need to get him a heating pad for the warm side of his tank. Hes going to need to be kept around 87-90 degrees on there and the cool side being around room temp. You're also going to need more then one hide maybe just 2 all together or 3, just so he has a place to go and escape on both the warm and cold side. Do not feed him spiders, ort anything of the sort, as far as I know its probably not good for them, crickets are good, but make sure they arent to big if hes a little guy, supplementing is fairly important, you want to get some calcium in their diet. if I remember correctly crickets are pretty beneficial as it is, but calcium is always good. Keep him on paper towel ,its honestly the easiest and best thing next to repti carpet or tile, as I'm sure you know you dont want any lose substrate as it causes impaction and such. Dont handle him for a while, just let him relax and get used to his area, you need to get somre heat in there on one side for him, remember a heating pad is your best bet as they do take in heat from their stomachs.
    Anyway, any further questions feel free to ask