My home made enclosure =)

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by IceSeal, Dec 28, 2004.

1. IceSeal

IceSeal New Member

http://iceseal22.tripod.com/things/

Frame was made out of a hanging shelf unit. rock walls are thin plywood with spackling paste on it (already chiped off everything that could fall off , its safe w/ non toxic paint also) substrate is the chips you find in the petstore name isnt in my head right now. dishes are made from cooking clay and plants are from the dollar store. wood climber and half log are from petco. above tha half log is a cave molded into the walls dont see them in it too much though.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. sarahpearl

sarahpearl New Member

the enclosure looks cool.... your leo on the other hand looks like she needs some help... she's very skinny. :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. IceSeal

IceSeal New Member

i know...ive tried everything diffrent heat diffrent enclosures diffrent foods calcium was on everything she ate....idk whats wrong no impaction...every week ill put a dozen crixs in her cage and she will either let them be and they will all eventualy die or shell eat them all..but shes not gaining weight....any advice?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. xile

xile Member

Try some silkworms, they should fatten her up pretty fast. Most reptilians love silkworms aswell.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. IceSeal

IceSeal New Member

i will ive also heard the wax worms are really fatty but also heard there really bad in larg amounts...so you think that concidering the condition shes in it would be more beneficial to feed her a decent amount of wax and silks?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. sarahpearl

sarahpearl New Member

baby food... seringe feed baby food... chicken will be more successful... if you think she can still eat crickets, then cover them in reptivite before feeding them to her, and only put in about 5 at a time... if she's not fast enough to catch them now, then take off their back leg/s without squishing them... then coat them in reptivite... that should help fatten her up. you could even feed her meal worms for that matter.

12. IceSeal

IceSeal New Member

ive got a that big red bowl half way full with it and coverd in calcium...shes not touchin it though...and i tried the freeze dried crix but shes just like everyting else shell put her nose to it lick it then walk away. and i didnt spoil her with any other food cuz ive only fed her criz and mealies

13. xile

xile Member

syringe feeding might be the only way to go. Use Pedialyte and baby food. Or you can make a cricket slurry with some pedilyte in it.

14. sarahpearl

sarahpearl New Member

dilute the pedialyte if you're gunna use it... it can be too strong for such a small guy... i dilute it for kittens, so for a lil leo, definately

15. IceSeal

IceSeal New Member

ya i gotta run to the pet shop anyways tomarrow for another heat lamp so ill pick up some of that reptivite , some crickets and wax worms...you think i should separate her and the new albino ? or will he not be affected by her? i dont want him catchin whatever she has if she has anything

16. sarahpearl

sarahpearl New Member

definately should isolate them... depending on how she is, move her, but if you think that changing enclosures would stress her too much, then don't... move the albino instead... that way you can also ensure that she is eating and pooping... if she's pooping then she's gotta be eating something...

17. IceSeal

IceSeal New Member

she is pooping but id say maybe once every 2-3 days...she started to do better then recently went back downhill. now...before there was a spider in her cage a small black one...nothing killer but it started happening around then do u think something could have happend with that?

18. sarahpearl

sarahpearl New Member

19. xile

xile Member

Seperate them, she could be in bad shape because he is submissive to the her. I would seperate them right now. If you are too worried them take the albino out.

20. IceSeal

IceSeal New Member

oh nice thanks...i got that at petco by me ill pick it up tomarrow...can i mix it in with her water? or do u think i should sering feed it to her?

21. sarahpearl

sarahpearl New Member

well spiders are, while not necessiarly dangerous seeming, can be quite toxic in other ways... for instance the spider could have come in contact with garbage or other toxins that then the gecko could have ingested if it ate the spider, or could have ingested when it ate something the spider touched... either way i'd get your gecko to the vet pronto... the longer you wait the more damaging it could potentially be to her health

22. IceSeal

IceSeal New Member

na its not him, i just got him last night and she has been like this for almost 2 months now.

23. IceSeal

IceSeal New Member

how much does heat affect their appetite? because its a bit on the cold side which is why im gettin the second light.

24. sarahpearl

sarahpearl New Member

get the albino into a clean holding tank for now... monitor him for the next two weeks and tell the vet when you put the new gecko in and anything abnormal you may notice... when did you clean the tank last???

25. sarahpearl

sarahpearl New Member

he affects their appetite big time... if it's too cold then they won't eat... what's the temp?