My home made enclosure =)

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by IceSeal, Dec 28, 2004.

1. IceSeal

IceSeal New Member

she just went into the new enclosure about 3-4 days ago...so its very clean..she only pooped twice since then and i cleaned it up right away jus to make sure its not a parasite

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. sarahpearl

sarahpearl New Member

temp?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. IceSeal

IceSeal New Member

temps about 75 maybe 80...

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. sarahpearl

sarahpearl New Member

should be closer to 80... i'd still recommend a vet visit... at least give them a call... find one that has someone that knows about exotic animals, not just cats and dogs.... good luck, and good night...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. IceSeal

IceSeal New Member

thanks alot for all your help guys ill let ya know how it goes

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. tigor9117

tigor9117 New Member

no it should be closer to 90

12. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

although it is a nice enclosure....that substrate is horrible. the bark keeps up the humidity and that can cause respiratory infections in your leo, and it could cause impaction. switch to papertowel. for overall temp it should be 87F during day and the low to mid 70s at night. i personally use these temps in my leo tank and all 4 are doing great. to help bring up weight with leos that don't eat i use a mix of turkey baby food, calcium powder, vitamin supplements, mashed up mealworms & waxworms. this usually does the trick.
    here is a link to My Caresheet. although i havent updated pics of my site, the information is still very good

13. sarahpearl

sarahpearl New Member

ok, sure i'll agree no sand for babies, but bark is fine. As long as your humidity is controlled in the tank, then it's not gunna cause any respitory problems. I like using a mix of bark and sand (half on one side, half on the other) and that seems to be great for humidity as well. That is of course for an adult leo. (yeah, it's my boyfriends) As far as temperature goes, over 85 is gunna be likely too hot at the hot spots for this gecko, and under 75 at night may be too cold. So try to keep it between these temps. For food try not to get store bought baby food if you can... if you have on hand fresh cooked turkey/chicken use that instead of the store stuff to avoid preservatives.

14. sarahpearl

sarahpearl New Member

ok, so as far as your care sheet goes i'd like to say a few things. For substrate, as long as you feed crickets you can use sand only... if you feed meal/wax worms put them in a sand-free shallow dish for feeding. the risk of impact in older leos is very little although it does happen rarely. Using paper has its own problems, the very soft underbelly of the leo is vunerable to cuts and scrapes from the edges of the paper. Honestly you seem very overly cautious with your leos. But at least we know that they are well taken care of! :(

15. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

better to be safe then sorry wouldnt you say? lol also bark is pretty rough wouldnt you agree? that would cause more problems on their soft belly then the unprinted paper would

16. IceSeal

IceSeal New Member

hehe i know that it could cause impaction however i dont feel my geckos on that...im using their old 10 gallon tank with a foam bottom as their cricket feeding... i found crickets to dirty the cage much faster and figured this would be easier. also i can moniter their feeding better. and as for their bellies i have sand substrate under the half log which is right over a undertank heating pad. as for temps... i put a thermostat and relay to my 2 heating lights and during the day their set at 86 now and during the night around 75.
    and as for the skinny girl i bought a bunch of waxworms and that liquid stuff sarah recommended earlier and shes starting to regain her eating habbits and doing much better. so thanks alot for all the help with her guys.

17. EvilSquish

EvilSquish New Member

IceSeal - Good to hear she's eating now, and that electrolyte stuff is a miracle worker. Wax worms are good and fatty too, so she should bulk up in no time... happy to hear it!

18. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

If there's too much dust (calcium) on the feeders, your leo may be put off. Mine won't eat crickets that turn "snow white" from calcium. Lightly dust them - you never know, she may eat them if they're not smothered in the dust.

19. sarahpearl

sarahpearl New Member

good to hear things are going well. keep it up!!! remember that if you have any questions just ask. This is a great resource for information on all kinds of issues. Good luck with it all and Happy New Year! :D

20. IceSeal

IceSeal New Member

hehe thanks happy new year to u too

and i got the same problem spot that was also one of the problems ...the mealies ihad there all the time were dusted too heavily and she wouldnt eat..so shes doing much better now slowly but definitly not on the death side of the fence.

and thanks again for all the help guys!!