My leopard lizard Raptor

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by SS79, Mar 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SS79

SS79 Embryo

Hi,

Ive had this girl for a year now. She was an adult when I got her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She is getting a little fat lately though. Have to hold back on the food I think.. hehe.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. hubert_cumberdale

hubert_cumberdale Member

wow, ive never seen one of those before!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Wookie

Wookie Well-Known Member

she is gorgeous.

What's she eat?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. beezneez

beezneez Member

They are cool looking. How is she with handling? I've heard they can get a little crazy? But i guess yours must be pretty good judging by the first pick. lol.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. SS79

SS79 Embryo

Hi,

She eats mealworms, pinkies (dont feed these much at all, too much fat), crickets (for the most part) and she even eats some salad if she feels like it. Regular diet is crickets.

She has been sick a couple of times. Some months ago she had an eye infection and she could barely see. Lots of gooey stuff plastered all over her eye lids. It was horrible :) :( She did not seem to be able to get well after 2 antibiotic cures. We were actually on our way to put her to sleep.

But we decided to give it just a few more days. And I am so glad we did!!
    She got gradually better and within a week she was back to her normal self.

About handling.. Shes incredibly calm. She can fall asleep ANYWHERE on your body. She has never been agressive, never tried to bite. She is the kindest most adorable lizard I have ever had.

One time I let her out of her cage. She went into our long hallway. And there she ran insanely fast on TWO legs! Just like that jesus walking water lizard youve seen on documentaries. It was truly a sight to behold.

My goal is to get her a male companion some day.

Im adding a couple of more pix.

First one reminds me of the lions in The Lion King:

[​IMG]

Second one.. she is always completely calm in my hands and she is ever the contact seeking lizard :) I truly love this one.

[​IMG]

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. papercut

papercut Member

just gonna let you know theres no such thing as a fat lizard so you shouldn't hold back on the feeding its healthy awesome leopard lizard though :)

12. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

Leopad lizards are so cool. I never see them around though.

13. wrigley

wrigley New Member

She looks great. Leopard lizards are a great species to keep. Very calm and interesting to watch. Do you ever feed her anoles? Mine love them. I put 4 anoles in their tank last week and my male ate 2 right off the bat. My female waited a couple hours and ate one and then the male ate the last one 3 days later. I don't feed them anoles very often because they're so expensive. For the most part mine eat crickets and in the summer they love grasshoppers. Yours looks very healthy and her legs are nicely filled out. Keep up the good work. Her tank looks great too.

14. PitsNherps

PitsNherps Well-Known Member

Wow she looks awesome never seen one either.

15. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Hello

Hello,

That is an awesome looking lizard. How pretty it is!

Tracie

16. Darlene

Darlene New Member

RE: Hello

She's beautiful. Glad she got over her eye infection and you didn't have to put her to sleep.

Ollie, a hatchling I had, died due to complications of an eye infection he never recovered from despite various antibiotics prescribed for him.

I have two female leopard lizards as well: Alesha and Sofia who just finished brumation a few months ago. Alesha is starting to get a bit of her breeding colors. I'm looking to find a male for them too.

Where did you get Raptor?

17. kinyonga

kinyonga Member

RE: Hello

Nice lizard! I never knew they were that docile!

Concerning the comment..."theres no such thing as a fat lizard "...obesity in lizards, just as it is for people can result in health and reproduction issues...
    http://www.seavs.com/case_studies/lizards/
    Hepatic lipidosis syndrome...
    "This author has seen a fatty liver-like syndrome in adult bearded dragons commonly. Typically, these dragons are obese with large abdominal fat pads."
    "A hepatic lipidosis-like syndrome is seen in savannah monitors".

http://mampam.50megs.com/monitors/salvatmag.htm
    "Obese monitor lizards tend to be highly docile and are probably incapable of reproduction."

http://animal.discovery.com/guides/reptile...rdragon_04.html
    Common Medical Conditions
    "Obesity from overfeeding."

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...;articleid=3398
    "Overfeeding herps can be relatively easy to do and, in amphibians, is considered the second most common nutritional health problem. It can lead to breeding problems, decreased organ function, and shorter life spans. Avoid overfeeding by understanding the different anatomy and physiology of herps, and feeding the proper diet."

http://www.centralpets.com/animals/reptile...ds/lzd5833.html
    "These animals may eat to the point of obesity and have very slow metabolisms"

http://www.e-healthypetfood.com/html/feeding_schedules.html
    "A plump, rotund lizard is not a healthy lizard. Such animals may be incapable of breeding and may be destined to a shortened lifespan."

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...;articleid=3010
    "Obesity may also be a cause of egg binding."

18. SS79

SS79 Embryo

Hi,

I bought her in Germany of March 2006.

She just finished shedding now. All that much brighter :)

She`s the sweetest.

Sorry to hear about your Ollie :D

19. SS79

SS79 Embryo

Hi,

Just had to post this pic of Raptor..

[​IMG]

20. wrigley

wrigley New Member

[​IMG]

And this is a pic of Mama and Larry warming up after a long winter.

21. MBK_KID

MBK_KID Member

wrigley I find that picture really disturbing. :shock:

22. wrigley

wrigley New Member

I'm sorry you feel that way MBK KID but when you keep reptiles you need to be able to provide for them. If you can't provide the foods they want to eat then you shouldn't keep them.

23. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

I'm not totally sure whether that picture was neccessary wrigley. I'm unclear of the rules about posting things like this, but i'll get back to you.

24. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

I've removed that certain picture, as it may cause offence to some users, and is unsuitable on the forums.

25. wrigley

wrigley New Member

As stated in my reply to your pm Luke, I won't post on a forum that allows censorship. I'm not sure how that picture could offend people when it is only a picture of a lizard enjoying a meal. Is it not clear to some of you that lizards can sometimes be carnivores? Do you also take offense when you see a snake eat a mouse? If I had posted a picture of my lizard eating a cricket that would've been ok? Apparently because it is eating another lizard it offends some of the members of the forum. I'm sorry that some of you were offended but I don't appreciate censorship and will not remain a member of this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.