My leos diet and name

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by tkohlbre, Jun 24, 2010.

1. tkohlbre

tkohlbre Embryo

So ever since a month ago, my leo (female) will only eat mealies. I've worried about her nutrition so i've been trying to gut load and dust all the mealies I feed to her, she refuses to eat crickets too. she just smells them and just walks away!

i'm thinking since it appears she doesn't like the taste of the vitamin dust i give her that ill heavily dust the mealies i give to her and not dust the crickets, but i dunno if this will work.
    any suggestions?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Hm, that's odd. Have you tried any other feeders? If you're offering and she's not eating a particular kind but she is eating something else I guess everything is good, she's just being picky, lol. I found all my herps love pheonix worms and silk worms... just fyi :(

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

some leos are just little brats and enjoy being picky

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. tkohlbre

tkohlbre Embryo

phoenix worms sound dangerous! :( Ill look them up!

Hmm yea, only thing is that im worried if she's not getting enough nutrition, though I'm still dusting the mealies and trying to gut load them. (gut loading as in feeding the mealies the cricket supplements that I usually give the crickets, sure enough the mealies eat them right up.)

Btw I forgot to say this earlier but i still haven't set up a name for her that sticks! When I got her she was so young that we couldn't sex her, so I named her joe, (real creative right?) But now I cant think of a good name for her that sticks! Any suggestions?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. LittleLouie

LittleLouie Well-Known Member

That's surprising! Crickets are the only insect that ALL my geckos will eat. It sounds like she is just a picky eater, and as long as you are gut loading and dusting the mealworms, she will be fine. The fact that she is happy with mealworms, will make feeding her easier on you :(

If you know now that she is indeed a she, and if you are still calling her Joe, you could start calling her Jo . . . .or Joy. Really, she won't care if you give her a boy's name. I think that a consistant sound that always brings pleasant things is all that matters to her.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. MIKELeopard

MIKELeopard Embryo

hi all i bought a leopard gecko 3 days ago..he has a fat tail he is really beautiful but i havent seen him eating his worms and i saw him eating only one cricket what shouldi do to make him eat more and drink more water cause i dont think that he drinks too much

12. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

tkohlbre: i have raised and bred leos on just mealworm diet. you must gutload the mealworms as well as dust them down. what i always did was treat the mealworms like they were being kept as pets. i gave them the same diet i'd give my herbivorous reptiles which was apples, carrots, kale, collard green, and dandelion greens all chopped up and then dusted with rep cal and herpitive. i would also give them cheerios. gravid females got wax worms and on occasion they also received pinkie mice.

godleo: leos dont drink much from standing dishes, instead spray down the glass of the tank at night when you see your leo is active. if you've only had him for 3 days than don't worry so much about him eating yet. most likely he is still adjusting to his new enviornment