My new build - progress pics

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by brittone05, Mar 22, 2006.

1. brittone05

brittone05 Well-Known Member

This is the basic framework of the first of 2 new stacks I am building for the geckos!!

It is 6 foot tall and will consist of 8 vivs, each being 18" wide, 24" deep and 12" high. I couldn't fit a 2 foot wide viv in so this is the easiest way for me to tidy my space up and accommodate everyone properly!!

It will hold (all separately) 5 leopard gekco and 3 pictus geckos. I shall be keeping the old tanks off them though to use as med tanks and a baby habitat for when I eventually get eggs :)

Any advice/critisism/ideas welcome :p

Overall build

[​IMG]

Top half

[​IMG]

Bottom half which also has cupboard/shelf space for keeping the necessary bits needed :)

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. TurkeyDonuts

TurkeyDonuts Embryo

wow very nice, good luck with it and keep us updated

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. brittone05

thanks Turkey - going out to buy the panels for the outsides/dividers and floors this evening and also going to search for some flush fitting lights that can be dimmed down - hoping to set up all the tanks with a small light sourace that can be put onto a dimmer switch!

Fingers crossed it all goes to plan :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

that looks really nice, hope it turns out great!!!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. CornyGuy

CornyGuy Well-Known Member

Hey, it looks good. Keep up the good work. :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. brittone05

Well, her eis the updated pics - we have had to take a rest from it as my husband has been working 16 hour days and should be resting after an operation!

The elcetrics are going in either tomorrow evening or Thurday and then I can decorate it internally and we will be ready to set the stats for a few days before the new inhabitants move in :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

looking good. what kind of sealer are you using? and i see you went with the piano hinges, nice. i'm going to be building a bunch of stacks this summer (15-21 total cages to be exact), mine wont be nearly as nice as yours with the crown molding and all, but they will do the deed. as for the lighting, you could get that rope light stuff wired in every cage and have it all hooked up to a single dimmer.

~Will.

13. btcowboy

btcowboy Member

Wow you guys are doing an incredible job. Taking any orders????? lol

14. brittone05

Thanks guys.

I will be using a basic non toxic stain/varnish for the sealing of the wood and then have used a non toxic brown coloured silicone sealer for the joints so it is invisible.

light wse bought some small fluorescents of eBay which are 7watt energy bulbs and vbery small :D

Pics to follow once the stain goes on :D

Will - I am sure that your vivs will look cool once they ar efinished - it is all in the trim work that sets them off - ours looked a right state befrore we added the skirts!!!

15. themowingmonk

themowingmonk Member

those will be really ncie when there all done.

16. pigger93

pigger93 Member

very nice

17. jimbobroy

jimbobroy New Member

Man oh man that is so nice. Maybe you could make me one for my birthday?

18. Fable

Fable New Member

brittone05 those are like up near cages by design nice. Thats going to be so beautiful when done.

19. jimbobroy

jimbobroy New Member

Your right. They do look like a cages by design cage.

20. brittone05

Thank you all very much ;) I don't know who cages by design are as I am in the UK so maybe it is a USA company???? (<<<goes to google lol)

I hope that the other one we are due to build will be as nice - it is like a piece of funriture and has saved me soooo much space although the way my collection is growing, I shall need another of these to house the leos very soon lmao

21. themowingmonk

themowingmonk Member

so are the lights your only heat source in the unit or how are you heating them?

22. brittone05

Hi Mowing

I have heat cable heating the lower single vivs and a heat mat for the top female enclosure (only cos the cable was too short lol)

the lights are actually only fluorescent minis so they don't give out very much heat if any at all :D they are only really there for viewing purposes - I have them in a window area for photoperiod.

23. themowingmonk

themowingmonk Member

nice, sounds like you got a really good set up there, props!

24. brittone05

Thanks Mow :) :D

My hubby has worked really hard on it too so I really shuld give the credit to him although I did the basic design work!!

25. VaBeachFamily

VaBeachFamily Member

Since they are 12" high... how are you putting the lights exactly? i want to make my entertainment center into a custom tank deal, but i wanna know how to do the light using what I have, not what i have to buy