My new build - progress pics

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by brittone05, Mar 22, 2006.

1. brittone05

brittone05 Well-Known Member

I am not 100% certain of what you mean Va lol (sdorry - feeling a bit dim today)

The lights that I have are mini bulbs - fluorescents so they don't emit heat and only just over 2" long - also they are only 7 watts per bulb.

I am just going to put them in as normal like you would a normal bulb

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. VaBeachFamily

VaBeachFamily Member

Oh, ok. Well im using red heat bulbs, trying to build something like that...... and am going to have to make it 6 inches taller to allow the room for the lights to hang 12 inches about the ground ( as not to be too close to the leos) so was looking for advice

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. barlifter

barlifter New Member

sounds great

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. brittone05

You could make a stack this size but have only 3 levels of tnks and then cupboards OR 4 levels of tanks and no/smaller cupboards to allow for some extra height for each floor and it's lighting - t wouldn't take much tweaking.

I have only opted for the fluorescents as I got them off eBay for cheap lmao - I only paid £10 for 20 of them delivered so that is why I chose them plus they have a fantastic life estimation too : :(

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Liquid_Squelch

Liquid_Squelch New Member

Just a question, as I will be eventually building the same thing....
    Where are you fitting in the UV and Heat?? I am not "up" on geckos..so I'm not even sure if they need UV :?:

I guess your using heating pads for the heat?

Looks great..
    I was thinking about doing one for myself, but I kept loosing space for all those dome lights!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. brittone05

Thansk Liquid :)

I don't have a UV for them - leos don't need Uv as a set requirement although some people do use it for them for a minimal time each day :D

Heat wise, the lower vivs are heated via a cable and the top viv is heated with a mat - all run on stats :D

12. rhysstran

rhysstran New Member

How much did all the materials cost? i have just had a quote for someone to build me one not that much
    different and it came to £350 :-(

13. crystal_wolf1968

crystal_wolf1968 New Member

Britt those look awsome, do you mind if I copy your design? and if no how did you wire them? Really good job. Helen

14. brittone05

Helen hun - feel free to copy it - if you need any bits of plans then PM me :) :)

Rhys - we got quoted the same for a stack BUT the stacks you buy from the shops are melamine board - we used solid wood for ours as I like it to look more like furniture than vivs lol

All in all we were lucky as a friend in our green got me the framework wood form his works for free lol

15. VaBeachFamily

VaBeachFamily Member

Oh... question...

how do you ventilate these? I am bulding cages all in one... where do i vent, how do i vent....???

16. rhysstran

rhysstran New Member

Re: RE: My new build - progress pics

Wish id paid attention is woodwork class in school now ;)

17. brittone05

RE: Re: RE: My new build - progress pics

lol

Ventilation - I have a single vent in the back and side of each viv and then a vent int he central wall of the split levels to allow a good cross flow of air.

the larger viv on the top though has got a nice brass rectangluar vent int he centre to make it look prettyy ;) :D

18. rhysstran

rhysstran New Member

You have inspired me to make my own. Or atleast try. £350 is not reallly affordable right now. they only thing im worried about is if i buy all the tools and materials and i mess it up. will have wasted alot of time and money

19. brittone05

I know that if you decide to make it form melaminie instead of wood like ours, B&Q and the likes will usually offer a cutting service also - no need to worry about expensive saws and things then!

It is literally a case of pre drilling pilot holes in each section, wood glkue on the joint then screw it together with the appropriate screws - if using melamine then get chipboard screws.

If you get stuck or need some plans drawing up or something then PM me ;) :D

20. rhysstran

rhysstran New Member

Thanks you will most likely hear from me. lol

21. brittone05

Not a worry at all - I am here if you need me ;) :D

22. masterbreed

masterbreed New Member

i wish i was as talented as you i woud be making enclosures 24/7

23. brittone05

I have my husband to thank for a lot of the work - I draw them, he plans them properly form my design and then we build them together :D

I have a lot of support form him - he workls 14 hour days some days and still comes home and helps me build :) :)

24. corey

corey Well-Known Member

NICE!!!!!