My new Ornate Uro :)

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by StikyPaws312, Dec 9, 2011.

1. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

I just realized I never posted pic of my new little one! I wasn't planning on ever getting another lizard (I'm a gecko girl :p) but I absolutely fell in love with this little one at a reptile show a couple weeks ago :) My friend had hatched him out from two beautiful parents and he's a little over a month old. Although another of my geckos is named Spike I'm thinking about changing their names around since Spike is much more appropriate for this little guy!

Here's my little Ornate Uri :)

Peeking out to say hello on his car ride home...
    [​IMG]

Sunning himself in the early morning sunlight that comes through the window (Don't worry, I monitor the temps very closely, he tank doesn't get too hot for him!)
    [​IMG]

Tried to get a better pic of his pattern..... excuse the temp probe wire, sorry!
    [​IMG]

Louie, Karlee, electrofelt and 2 others like this.
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

he's just so perfect looking!!! I saw my first one up close at a petshop the other day :) My friend said it looked like it was smashed lol-because it was sorta fat, like my anoles can get :p They're so cool though-I love how they're "wrinkles" make them look! Yours is a great looking one! :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Thanks so much :) he's a little cutie, and what spunk he has! They're fast!! He's still quite skittish but he definitely realizes its me when I put his salad in in the morning.... They can take up to 6 months to calm down and settle in when they get a new enclosure. Then they take about 3 years before they are fully mature, but the more I read up on them and love this little guy I think I might want to breed them... Eventually, lol. Anyway, thanks!

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. AmandaCook

AmandaCook New Member

love love love. i want to one day have a pair as well :) so cute! and so cool!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

Nice uro :)

Do you have reptile carpet in his enclosure? I have an egyptian, currently on sand (bad advice from where I bought it) and am looking for a suitable alternative. I have some slate tiles, but think I would prefer the carpet in there, just so he isn't displaced from his home for too long while I change the substrate.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

I did have the reptile carpet in there for about a week... then I realized he kept getting his little nails caught in it so I replaced it with Textured Tile :)

12. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

Oh ok good point I hadn't thought of that.

13. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

What did you do with your uro when you tiled its cage? And when you tiled, did you just place the tiles in and grout? Or did you silicone? Just curious, mine is still on sand, and I think I will leave his hide sand because he does love to dig there, but the rest I would like to tile. How did you go about doing this?

14. reptile boy

reptile boy New Member

hes so cool! has fun with him!

15. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

When I tiled his (and all of my leo tanks have tile) I just placed the tile down (no need to grout) very close to each other... let me see if I can find a photo of one of my leo tanks...

16. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Ok so not the best photo but this was in one of my leo's tanks... there's actually 3 different types of tiles, the main large one is a pretty slate tile, then around the edges I had extra tile from redoing a bathroom on the left (the more white one) and then in the back there are the cheap tiles that have awesome texture on them that are also super easy to cut.... Just note how close they are together... no grout needed and I've never had a problem :) I like to keep them un-grouted so that if I see new tile color I like or have to do a major cleaning I can take them out so the tank isn't too heavy to carry. The only tank I ever grouted in the tiles was because the bottom had cracked so I put tiles in and grouted it for the extra stability :)
    [​IMG]

Louie likes this.
  17. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Here was a better photo after he was in his tank for a couple days. Still had the repti-carpet at that point but he perked up quite a bit :)

[​IMG]

mr_andrew likes this.
  18. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

Oh cool, tanks and lizards look awesome!

19. naykid

naykid Member

do you have any new picts of this great looking uro?

Louie likes this.
  20. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

I don't at the moment but I'll try to take some this weekend after he's done shedding!

21. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

He looks awesome i dont know anything about these at all but he looks amazing

22. Louie

Louie Member

I know nothing about them either but real nice, Very unique looking. Remind me a bit of desert iguanas.

Imagine big sun lovers ?

How big do they get ?

Thanks

23. Louie

Louie Member

I notice you also keep one, same type?

mr_andrew likes this.
  24. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

I keep an Egyptian Uromastyx. It grows bigger, but is not as colourful.
    Here is mine:
    [​IMG]

Louie and StikyPaws312 like this.
  25. Louie

Louie Member

Nice, Big sun lovers?