My Next Snake- A Jungle Carpet Python

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by Janice, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

I fell in love with the colors of these guys, yesterday at the reptile expo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I will defiantely be buying one of these in November!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

I love the colouring of the top one.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

theres one at my lps thats just plain nasty. it'll be cool for a few month, then out of no where it'll just strike at the glass. they are beautifull, but I havent really been around any that had an all around great disposition. good luck with yours, and make sure you give it plenty of attention.

~Will.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. LewsKinslayer0

Where as I have heard they mellow out with handling and age. I know as young guys they are very nippy. Could it be that he is going into a shed and just plain wants to be left alone? I have no experience with them, only seen them once at a pet store and they were all sleeping.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

nope, this one has been there for about a year, and no one wants him =( . its kinda sad because it has really dull colors and a nasty attitude towards people. mabye someone will buy it for a breeding project, but other than that i dont think anyone would want that snake for any other reason.

~Will.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. LewsKinslayer0

Poor snake. How big is it at a year old?

12. Janice

Every snake has it's own personality. I have heard of nasty ballpythons. They are very cool looking pythons, for sure.

13. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

i know every snake is unique in its own way, i'm just saying that in my limited personal experience jcp's can get nasty if not handled enough. the snake i'm talking about is an adult, not sure how big exactally cause no one at the pet store wants to take it out for a measurement. I hope the jcp your getting has a better disposition than the one i know.

~Will.

14. Janice

I hope so too. With regular handling as a youngin, hopefully, he/she will be calm. I'd hate to have a nasty snake this size!

15. kavinos

kavinos Member

I have a coastal, and shes a lovely snake - large - but lovely. The top carpet there is a definate Jungle, look at the bright yellow colourings and lack of a stripe down its side (the two main signs - as well as size), but the bottom looks more like a jungle x diamond, maybe 100% diamond. Another nice snake.

Carpets are by far my favourite python, other then maybe gtps.

From young they are very nippy. I have been bitten untold times, but as shes got older and larger she has calmed down a bit, just dont handle close to feeding time. I like there tempremant, keeps you on your toes without being too difficult to handle.

if you need any advice Janice dont hesitate to ask :D

16. Janice

It is a diamond! Wow, you are good!!! He did have jungle x diamond babies. I actually have tons of questions!!!! Do you know of any good care sheets? And a baby, what can I keep it in temporarily, size wise? This breeder is going to be at a reptile expo next month and I want to get one. But I want to be well prepared for it!!!

17. kavinos

kavinos Member

Right, as far as care sheets you cant fail with the one offered by Anthony Caponetto here http://www.acreptiles.com/carpet_python_care.htm

Its fantastic care sheets and dispels any myths people have.

Babies can be kept in a small 2ft x18" x 18" viv for a fair few months. It takes a while for them to develop any real bulk - but when they do its noticable - mine really started bulking out when she was moved on to small rats.

As far as humidity is concerned, dont be fooled by what you read, I just spray mine when I notice shes due to shed and have never had any problems.

Temps are as follows:

Day Time Temperature Gradient:
    72-80F Ambient, 86-90F under the basking lamp or over heat source.

Night time Temperature:
    72-80F

I achieve this by using a day glo bulb on a stat and a heatmat during the day, and turn the mat off at night. I also have a low UV bulb in there, but this if just because the viv is a fairly dark side of my room so I like to keep a day/night cycle going.

Ill leave you with a couple of pics of my friends jungles (there faily dull and unfortunatly haven't got the colouration you can get (like my coastal, shes very yellow for her breed). But they give you an idea.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Janice

That's a great care sheet, thank you!! I can't wait to get one of these. You have a female? How big and how old is she?

19. kavinos

kavinos Member

Yes still growing, but just hit her second major growth spurt. I would say she must be about 10 months tops, and is about 5 foot, but shes not gained in width yet really, and her head is still small. I can tell shes going to be a big girl though. Ill get some pics when I get a chance to take them :D

20. LewsKinslayer0

Not to highjack your thread Janice, but how much time per day would you say you spend handling, cleaning the enclosure, etc. of your carpet kavinos? I would love to have one and if the place I am moving into this summer will let me I would get one. The only thing is I heard the program the first 6 months I am taking is extremely demanding and I want to make sure I'll have time for him/her.

21. Janice

Don't worry about it. ask away. I wouldn't think cleaning the enclosure would be very time consuming, but you are going to want to handle the snake often, to tame it. You don't want a big nasty snake on your hands.
    I am thinking I want a female. I have all male snakes except one. Not for breeding or anything. Is there any benefits to either sex?

22. kavinos

kavinos Member

Lews, its the normal routine, regular fresh water, removal of fecal matter, etc.

As far as handling goes, when I first got her I left her alone for about 2 weeks, then handled her constantly for a good few months, now I handle her a couple of times a week and she rarely (very rarely) snaps at me. And thats only close to feeding.

The main problem I had was moving her from mice to rats, it took me near on 3 months, but this isn't uncommon in carpet pythons. I ended up scenting the rat, re-freezing, thawing, and re-scenting. Eventually she took it.

As far as sex goes, it is purely down to size. There temprements are very similar. Only difference is females can get noticably bigger (some coastal females are known to reach 13' on the very rare occasion). So just go with the prettiest snake. Of course there are differences in type of carpet too. Its entirely down to size, looks and preference. I love my coastal though :D

23. Janice

These are jungle carpets that I am looking at getting.

24. LewsKinslayer0

Thanks for the info, at about what size should you start trying to transfer to rats? I wouldn't really call that time consuming other than the scenting the rats etc. just a pain if they don't convert easily.

25. kavinos

kavinos Member

Well if they converted easy I would be surprised. Mine was about 9 months (small/medium rats) I would say. You could try on fuzzys but my be hard.

Janince, I think a jungle would be perfect. Lovely size, lovely shade, good choice in my opinion.

id ove a jaguar carpet.. so expensive though, see here http://www.ukpythons.com/jag2.html